Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Beef Chuck Roasts

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to be able to cook some different cuts of beef on my egg. I tried a chuck roast today, used Char Crust Roto Roast, and cooked about 4 hrs at about 250-300 deg. Internal temp got to 160. The taste was great but the meat was tough. Can I make it better by doing a longer slower cook? Any ideas to make it better? I used the plate setter to cook indirect.[p]Thanks!!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kilo,
    This cut of meat is so lean that lo&slo is the last thing you want to do. Fast and hot is OK but it's not a good cut unless you want to do sliced beef sandwiches, or as a London Broil or go to about 170-180 deg and shred it apart for taco meat or pulled beef. Not much you can do with it. Try another cut is my suggestion.[p]Tim

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Kilo,
    howdy! i cooked a chuck roast the other week on my grill. my temps were higher, maybe 350. almost a sear, like steak then dwell. i marinaded it in olive oil and added some Dizzy Dust rub. cooked med. rare. sliced on the diagonal. good stuff. great sandwiches! there are also reports of good pulled beef form beef chuck. haven't tried that..but bet it's a winner also. i'm sure someone will chime in here with that report.. Y.B.?
    i have no thermostat or polder. trial and error here.
    always edible though!
    enjoy!
    BBQBeth

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Kilo,[p]This is an ideal meat to smoke low and slow! Just bought one today for cooking Saturday. It is NOT lean but loaded with fat and will cook just like a pork butt. I always take to 190-200º and smoke at 225º for about 1 1/2 hrs./lb.[p]This is the traditional pot roast meat and will fall apart at these higher temps.[p]I would not cook this over high heat as none of the fat will render and it will be tough as you found out. Go for low and slow and it will cook up nicely.[p]Save the higher heat for the round roasts, both top and bottom....much leaner cuts of meat(I use them to make jerky).[p]Stogie
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Kilo,[p]I did one last weekend at 250° dome. I figured about 1.5 - 2 hrs/lb and my 4 lb roast took 7 hrs to reach 200° internal. I used Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick Steak Rub (I put it on Fri night, vaccuum sealed in my foodsaver (if you don't have one you can wrap in saran wrap) and back to the fridge til Sunday when I cooked it.[p]The Cow Lick Steak Rub gave it an AWESOME flavor, but mine was a little drier than I would have liked, but it pulled nonetheless. My thoughts on trying again, cook with a butt roast on a raised grid above it and let the fat from the butt roast drip onto the chuck, like they do with briskets sometimes, and see if it improves the moistness of it. [p]Good luck with it and let us know how yours turns out...[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    QBabe, [p]Since it was drier than you wanted - wonder what would happen if you brined it overnight prior to the cook?[p]tlhrtp
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Stogie,
    Are you referring to a 7 blade chuck roast??? I am trying to visualize the cut of meat being talked about. If so, my mom made this on the stove, cast iron skillet, cooked with carrots and potato's, onion and celery. Tender enough to cut with a fork.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Grate Grills
    Options
    Kilo,
    I like to make kind of a pot roast on the egg. Take chuck roast, season well[charcrust would br fine] and sear roast on egg aprox 400 deg. about 15 min. get outside nice and charred. Tear a head of cabbage into leaves and pack in foil pan. Put roast on top of cabbage and add 1 can beer, dark if avail. 1 package onion soup mix and 1 stick butter. cover pan with foil and put back on egg, direct heat aprox, 350 for one and half hours. comes out tender like pot roast and this is the best cabbage I have ever eaten. Not exactly BBQ but very good

• Stogie
    Options
    Grate Grills,[p]Nice recipe! I make many of these types of recipes in the Dutch oven when camping.[p]Here is one of my favorites and is nice and easy to carry-in to the campsite.....[p]Dutch Oven To Die For Beef [p]1 Beef roast, 4lbs. or so
    1/2 package Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
    1/2 package Brown gravy mix
    1/2 package Italian dressing
    1/2 cup Water, lukewarm[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix all the envelopes of mixes together.
    Sprinkle over top of roast.
    Pour water into bottom of crockpot.
    Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
    You can add some taters and veggies to this dish as well.[p]Stogie

• Stogie
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Yes.....pretty much any cut from the chuck section of the shoulder. I view it as the "pork butt" of beef.[p]The link will take you to some pics of the subprimal cuts from the chuck.[p]Stogie

[ul][li]Subprimal beef chuck[/ul]
  • Tim M,[p]Braising is the only way to have a chuck roast come out moist and falling apart. My wife pokes whole clove of garlic, browns it and cooks it in a cast iron pot in some kind of broth with carrots and onions, etc. Cuts with a fork and juicy and flavorful.[p]bob

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I'm sure this post was just a slip and you already know this, but a chuck roast is the beef equal to a boston butt or shoulder. The fat and collagen percentages are nearly identical. Braising is the most common method of disolving the collagen and fats for this particular cut of beef. Low and moist heat would be the way to go.[p]Ashley