Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Broke in the new small egg - Redbeans and Rice

BoccieBoccie Posts: 186
edited 4:50PM in EggHead Forum
redbeans4.jpg
<p />Thought I would try a recipe new to me for our small eggs maiden cook. I found Louisianna Redbeans and Rice in the submitted recipe section by RhumAndJerk.[p]This recipe is very good if you havent tried it yet.[p]Top it with fresh green onions and some tobasco (I used habanero tobasco :-) for that little extra kick![p]The bad thing is that I am the only one that eats redbeans in my house. The good thing is I am the only one that eats redbeans in my house - heh heh![p]Anyway, just wanted to share this with everyone. Happy eggin'!

[ul][li]Louisiana Red Beans and Rice by RhumAndJerk[/ul]

Comments

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Boccie, looks good! Any special smoke on that? I asumed you cooked with the lid off?

• ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Boccie,
    Being from Louisiana, I still prefer to cook my redbeans on the stove. But, depending on what Lili does, may have to resort to that!

• BoccieBoccie Posts: 186
    Wise One,[p]I knew I forgot that in the post LOL. I only used hickory for smoking, and the lid was off of the cast iron pot. Temp on the egg was around 240. Stirred every 1/2 hour. I used smoked sausage as my meat, with ham shanks for cooking flavor. Fed the shanks to the dog when I was done, which she didnt complain about :-)[p][p]
  • Boccie,[p]Thanks for the great recipe.
    My mouth is watering big timr.
    I'll be cooking this one in my dutch oven .[p]

• ChuckChuck Posts: 812
    Boccie,[p]Looks great, I may have to give that a try this weekend. Did you have any ceramics under the dutch oven (pizza stone or fire brick). I have used fire brick when cooking with my dutch oven before, it seems to make the bottom stick less. [p]Chuck <><

• PorkchopPorkchop Posts: 155
    Boccie, do split pea soup next! those beans look awesome!

• TEST.JPG
    <p />Boccie,[p]TEST
  • BoccieBoccie Posts: 186
    Chuck,[p]I didn't use anything under the dutch oven. Just set it on the rack. I also smoked using hickory. The meal was great. I had no problems with the cook, sticking or anything. :-)