Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT sorta Anybody use Soapstone cookware

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
I was wondering if anyone cooks with soapstone cookware on their egg. A few months ago I went on a trip to Parker Colorado and ate the Hotels restaurant. What was unusual was they cooked steaks on a Hot Stone.. which is like a lava rock and they serve you the food on a hot stone. I did a google search and found out that HOT STONE is a company name that markets their goods to the restaurant business. Anyway, I figured putting the platesetter in the egg and putting soapstone grill in the egg would be a good replication of the technique of the restaurant I ate at. Any thoughts.... I figure cooking on the egg would kick it up a notch :whistle:
~Pharmeggist

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    This is the cheapest source for soapstone cookware I could find on the internethttp://fantes.com/soapstone.html
    If some one knows something better let me know.
    Thanks in advance, Pharmeggist
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have a small soapstone "plank" 2x6x7, that was used as a bed warmer that I use as a plate setter for my small and the mini. I have put food right on it and used it to sear stuff. works great. I had looked at their dishes on another site and loved the look and can just imagine how they would feel. very special I am sure. I love cooking with stoneware and bet this would be a nice step up. Julie
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i have the same set up as julie including the bed warmer part. if there is a stone counter top place in your area that does soap stone you could get scrap and make what you want. soapstone cuts easily [wear a mask] when i get back from moms and on the other compuuter i will post links to my other soapstone sources . email me if you want them and i forget.
    korin has table top charcoal grills an small stones as this is a common practice in japan. i can link you to that or post a pic as well

bill
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Haven't cooked on it yet but I have a 10" round of soapstone on order from the guy that did our granite counter tops.

You might inquire of some granite fabricators to see what they have in their 'scrap' pile.

Spacey
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    I have a soapstone bowl with a lid. I just love using it because it retains the heat so well. It is fabulous for baked beans. You season it just as you would for cast iron. I am thinking about getting a soapstone griddle. Thanks for the advice about contacting a local stone fabricator.

eenie meenie