Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri-tip cooking

Robert John
Robert John Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to sear a merinated tri-tip at around 500 degrees on each side for 2-3 minutes and then cook at 300 degrees. After searing do I have to take the meat out of the egg till the temp comes down to 300 or can I leave the meat in the egg and just damp it down?

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    I usually take mine off and let the temperature if the Egg come down while the meat is resting. Then put it back on at a little higher temperature, say 350-375 until the internal reaches 138. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes then slice. In fact, that's what I'm having for dinner tonight.
  • I cook mine just like Boxerpapa does with a TRex style sear, a 20 minute rest and roast to finish. I prefer mine a little more medium rare and pulled this one at 126 just like Morro Bay Rich suggest in his recipe below.

IMG_0995.jpg

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.
  • Thank you Tom C. for the detailed response; I can't wait to try it. This forum is fantastic for BGE beginners.