Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2.5 lb Tuna Loin w/ Tsunami rub

Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
tuna1.jpg
<p />OK, here it is. It's much bigger than I was told it would be. How long do you all think it will take to cook and at what temp? [p]Tim

Comments

• Tim M,
    Boy, that's a beaut....
    I have no idea how to cook one of those, but lemme know how it turns out, I wouldn't mind picking one up and giving it a whirl.
    -Joel

• Tim M,[p]
    Wow...that sure is something...but the real question is ..what is it. Are you sure that's a tuna loin ? Looks like something that we found on ol' uncle Fred's leg when he went-a skinny dippin down at the local swamp. Poor uncle Fred, when we pointed that thing out to him..he went a-running around in circles screaming something about being attacked by rogue bivalves and such..silly really. But, when we did finaly get him to calm down a bit...it took the three of us..and a small..goat.. to get the darn thing off of his leg. I wouldn't know how to cook it, but judging by how the goat just wolfed it down, without so much as taking a breath...I'd say it might not need cooking at all..but that's if'n your a goat..so's up to you. To this day, we have no idea what the heck the thing actually was, but we called it a goat-slug...'cept when uncle Freds around..then we don't talk about it at all, on accounta he swears that his scar starts a-burnin' like ya read about. We don't go near the swamp no more either..you know...bite me once..shame on you..bite me twice shame on me. Truth be told I think Uncle Fred probably had that thing on his leg before goin down there...rumor has it he was-a visitin' the seedy part of town earlier that day..cohortin with golly gee knows what..went down with 3 dollahs..came back with none...but nobodies gonna say anything about that..on accounta momma done tol' him not to go down there..and..well..poor uncle Fred doesn't need any more woopin...I mean we already did some serious guffaw belly laughin at his expense..and that's enough from us..I'd say..else he may just throw us in that swamp..and as we're not 100 percent sure about where that goat-slug came from..we'd just rather avoid that...bein as smart as we are and all..[p]Have a happy day.and enjoy that there loin..and a word of advice just in case...don't be preparing it around any goats..

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Man Tim, that is pretty. How thick is it in the middle?? 2 inches? If so, I would prolly go 8-10 minutes a side at 450-550 direct. Your goal being to get a nice crust while keeping the middle a medium rare. Nothing past a medium rare dude. You want that thang pink in the middle. 125 internal, tops, I would think.[p]That is gonna be good! If only I had me one a dem.[p]Enjoy.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks. It's maybe 3" in the middle. I was looking forward to the Ragging River but ...... slow mail here. [p]It's goin on in 30 min[p]Tim
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Tim M,[p]
    Been fishing for years and NEVER heard of a tuna loin - didn't know they had a loin! Is it off a pig and called that because it has a vague shape of a fish?
    Is it fish?
    Carey

• Tim M,[p]I am sure you have already cooked this thing and it is but a fond memory by now......... but for the record.[p]I have cooked Tuna Loin when I was in Nags Head this summer. The Loin is usually cut into steaks which is why many of us do not see them. In Nags Head we could buy fresh that day Tuna Lion for $5.99 a pound but you had to buy the whole loin. Because of the structure of the Tuna it is actually either the top or bottom quadrant of either side of the tuna. Because of the varying thickness of the cut you should plan to bend the tail around and tie it up to attempt to have it cook evenly. As for cooking time you could do it a couple of ways. Anywhere from 45 seconds per side on as hot of fire as you can get - This will yield a seared outside with the inside being completely raw. I love it this way as long as the tuna is very fresh and top quality. The other way is to go medium. You should not go more than this or it will dry out.[p]Hope it turned out OK.[p]Skipman
  • Nature Boy, Argghhh 125? Kill me now. Skipman had it right. But then I like sushi (which is ONLY made of the finest, freshest seafood, which Tim M seems to have the good fortune of having.) The equivalent of what you suggest is to take a standing rib roast and cook to 200*. It's the same thing.

• Tim M, Okay, you don't like it "raw" Do this, cut it into steaks, maybe 1" - 1 1/4" Get the egg to blast-off temps. Season all surfaces and blacken it. Over cooking fresh tune is a crime in most coastal states (not really, but should be. Hope it's not too late for you to see the error of your ways! :)[p]
  • Tim M
    tuna6.jpg
    <p />Tim M,[p]Thanks to all for the suggestions. I was amazed at how fast this beast cooked. My Thermapen came in handy or I would have cooked it more than it did. I pulled it when the thick center was 120-123° and it was maybe 5-8° too much. There were nice sections that were pink (no real red) and others done more to "my" likes. It went like free money! It was WONDERFUL and for a non-fish lover -- I LOVED it. The rub was great! It chared nicely and made the outside look burnt but it was only the rub and the outer part that had a nice blackend taste. The Dizzy Pig Tsunami rub was PERFECT. Thanks NB![p]Iy cooked at 400-500 deg dome and for only 12 min with me rolling it every 5min. I will do this again sometime for sure. I will put a webpage together tomorrow with the sauce recipe and more pictures. Awesome! [p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Thanks for posting that up Tim, looks great.
    -Joel

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Wow. I am hungry again! Even though I only finished up dinner 90 minutes ago, I could put away a good bit of that tuna! Yowza. Looks like you did that gorgeous chunk of tuna just about perfect! Glad ya didn't cook it to 140![p]Where did you pick up the tuna?
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    tuna4.jpg
    <p />Sundown,[p]Its the center of the "Back" of the fish. The filets are to each side of it. One of these per fish -- as I understand it. Fresh? - wow, you bet it was.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Skipman,[p]Good point about tieing up the end. I do that with pork tenderloins and it would have worked here as well. Less cooking time next time but my guests all ate the "less pink" parts first so it worked out perfectly. It was absolutely non-fishy and tender - tender - tender. Ahhhhhhhh[p]The sushi lover would have been disapointed but not by much.[p]I am 5 mi north of Nags Head -- it came from Pirates Cove marina by way of Seamark Foods. Yummy![p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Nature Boy,[p]I have a little left. Come on down![p]Tim
  • Tim M,[p]
    I'm thinking maybe we should have cooked that goat-slug....cause that's lookin real good...

• Tim M,
    i just returned from diego garcia where i caught a 107 lb yellow fin this summer, we smoked some of it in a mango and jalpeno puree...awesome. never cook tuna just sear it!
    [/b]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Tim M,
    That does look great. There are 4 'loins' per fish. Think of them as a football. They remove the head, tail and indarnds, then cut into quarters.
    Tim, you should come by a lot of there. I go out of Oregon Inlet yearly for a tuna trip. We bring home waaaay too much tuna. I am going out in Nov. We will have to touch base and I can drop off 20-30 lbs of meat....

Apollo Beach, FL