Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coca-Cola Mexican? a stockboy's error?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today at Kroger I was looking at the various Mexican hot sauces they carry and right in the middle of the shelves were these art deco bottles with Coca-Cola Mexican printed on them. It was 355 mmg or about equivalent in size to a slim 16 oz bottle. They were individual bottles priced at $1.89 per bottle which struck me as high priced for a Coke! Did a stock boy just mess up and think it was a Mexican hot sauce? BTW I Googled and read that Mexican Coke is made with cane sugar, unlike American Coke, which is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. Anybody try this product?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I haven't tried the Mexican version but I do know that the cane-made Coke is much better. It's the flavor that makes you feel better when you feel poorly.

Spring "Raising Cane" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    They sell it in a few stores here in Atlanta...it is much sweeter...I also had it in Mexico once... :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    it's a shame that all the coke made in the states is made with high fructose corn syrup.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Lots of stores stock hecho en Mexico Coca-Cola in the ethnic food isle. The cane sugar gives it a different taste. We like it better than the USA version. In fact, so many grocery stores have been importing it that there was a big stink recently by local bottlers to keep it out of their markets.

That price is pretty high, because the local mercado here sells it for about half that.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    My wife insists our local Brookshire grocery store has the sugar cane based Dr. Pepper at the fountain machine. She says it's made the old fashion way with cane sugar. It does taste different and better. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Mmmmmm.... The Coke with real cane sugar is better in my opinion as well. If you ever see Sangria soda in a small green bottle TRY IT. I'm in love with that stuff.
  • The other way to get "real" Coke is to buy it at Passover. Kosher for Passover Coke has sugar, not corn syrup.

little sister
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    if you go into stores that sell kosher products, particularly around passover and other big jewish holidays, look for coca cola that is marked specifically as kosher. .. yes, they really do this. ..it will be made with real sugar and has that original, 'bite' to it, from before the 'new coke' disaster of 1983/1984 time frame. .. .
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    IMG_0065JPGaa.jpg

Mexican Coca-Cola is noticeably different in sweetness as is the "Imperial" Dr Pepper which is also made with cane sugar. I've seen the Coke as far north as Denver.

Some of the rum & Coke and whiskey & Coke crowd like it for mixing.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My nearest supermarket carried Mexican Coca-Cola until just a few months ago. It was a 12 ounce size, and sold for .89. It disappeared about the time when a lot of "store brand" items showed up on the shelves. I thought it was worth buying occasionally. Seemed a little "brighter" in the mouth.
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Brent looooves Pepsi from Mexico that comes in the glass bottles.

just don't drink too much.... :blink:
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    You did not read the price wrong. They are expensive when sold as individuals. Here in Portland, Oregon, they have them by the case at my local Costco. The taste is a bit too sweet for my taste, but the better half luvs them.

If you haven't tried one, do it.
  • Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Options
    We live a couple of hours from the border and go across at least once a year. Mexican Coke is about a dollar a bottle there at a restaurant if you leave the bottle. I always have one bottle before switching back to Coke Light, Or maybe a Negra Modelo or two.
  • We get the sangria soda frequently. It is one of my favorites, along with the "real cane suger" coke. I have also developed a taste for the tamarind soda.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Love me the "Dublin" Dr. Pepper - fortunately have a C-store up the hill that carries it all the time. Not inexpensive, but man oh man, it brings back memories!!

thirdeye wrote:
    IMG_0065JPGaa.jpg

Mexican Coca-Cola is noticeably different in sweetness as is the "Imperial" Dr Pepper which is also made with cane sugar. I've seen the Coke as far north as Denver.

Some of the rum & Coke and whiskey & Coke crowd like it for mixing.
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    I buy it in Austin, but it's 99 cents per bottle.