Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Question

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I cooking a bunch of fish dinners tonight. Salmon, catfish, tuna, lobster, etc. and I want to do an ABT app. Can I indirect the ABT's so they can cook with the fish which will be direct? Should I put them on foil?

I dont want to have to take out the placesetter.
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Sure, they just take longer to get done. Might want to start your bacon in the microwafe first. Seafood night would = shrimp ABT's for us.
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    Options
    Absolutely, ABTs can be done indirect, though it will take longer for the bacon to crisp up. Depending on what temp your cooking at, you might need to start them well ahead of time.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I do ABT's indirect at 300 deg.; grid at gasket level. It usually takes an hour or more to render the fat out of the bacon. The time would seem a bit long for the fish.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    you can cook abt's on a grill direct, indirect, in a pan, on a griddle, all you need to do is get the bacon to crisp up.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    perfect, thanks all....I will start them way before
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    I did ABT's last night for the first time ever, with the help from many on these forums. Came out AWESOME.

Did at 340 indirect with plate setter for 45 minutes. Did not pre-cook meat, did not pre-cook bacon. Next time I'll use more cheese, more seasoning. Maybe a more flavorful meat (used hamburger meat) like italian sausage or something.

jaoo3g067.jpg

jaoo3g069.jpg

jaoo3g072.jpg

jaoo3g073.jpg

jaoo3g075.jpg