Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Brisket with No Fat Cap??

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, finding a good brisket around here is like finding fish sauce in Indianola, Mississippi. After visiting 5 grocery stores, finally found a brisket. Pretty lame. 5.7 pounds, with nearly all of the fat trimmed off. Why do they do that?? Not exactly a steal either at $2.99/lb!![p]I need to find a good butcher, even if I have to drive![p]Anyway, any suggestions for cooking this fatless chunk-o-chest??
Lay bacon over top?? Will that make it taste like ham??[p]Definitely a drip pan with liquid. [p]Any suggestions??[p]It is already slathered in mustard, and covered with a combo of rubs. Goes on tonight.[p]Thanks. NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]Indirect with bacon or sliced unsalted fat back on top would be my vote.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    djm5x9,[p]That sounds reasonable to me![p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nature Boy,[p]I did my first brisket on Sunday past. I bought it at my new-found neighborhood butcher on Friday. Best they had was 3.41lbs @ $2.99 lb and it too had no fat cap. Butcher said only other request he had for a full piece of brisket flat was from hunters wanting to make jerky. Such is life in the Great White North; not many of us 'low and slow' cookers around to create a demand. I followed recipe from Smoke and Spice book, which it sounds like many Eggers have, for Dallas Dandy brisket. Only problem was I didn't do the wrap in foil for last hour. I believe this would have contributed greatly to tenderness of finished brisket. If there is a lack of fat cap (as mine was) I would not make this error again. The recipe though was really good, flavor excellent according to all to tasted the brisket. Indirect and a foil wrap for tenderness at the end would be my recommendation, but judging from time you posted, this bit of 'advise' will be after the fact. Let me know how it turned out, and what you decided to do as far as method of cooking was concerned.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BBQfan1,
    Thanks. I am not a big fan of foil, and have had great results just by waiting it out and lettinng the egg do it's magic without opening it. I covered that baby from head to chest with bacon. A whole package. Laid em on 2 pieces thick.[p]A FULL drip pan of water is doing it's thing under Sir Chunk-o-Chest. Been on for 2 hours now, slowly stepping temp up to 240. I am guessing this 6 pounder will take 14-15 hours.[p]Thanks for your suggestions! Not sure what it is, but I tried finishing up in foil once, and it didn't seem as flavorful, and had less crust/bark. Maybe I am stubborn, but have had several moist successes in a row without foil.[p]I'll probably pull it off tomorrow late morning or noon, and give it a sample. Will let you know how the bacon smother works.[p]Happy cuz I get to do a chunk-o-chest
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ