Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Meat Temp ?

Grillmama
Grillmama Posts: 194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I was researching how to do our 1st butt it seems that most pull it off the egg at 190-200 degrees. Why at this temp when the "safe" guidelines state between 160-170 degrees?

Does it have something to do with the shredding of the meat? Just curious....

Our 8lb er has been on since 7:30 last night at 250 dome temp and the meat temp is reading at 169 per the remote. 165 per the hand held thermometer.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The meat will be "done" and sliceable at 160-170 and will taste fine. You can also chop it with a couple large knives or cleavers at this point. Many people prefer the taste and texture of pulled pork.

If you want pulled pork then 190+ is the way to go. This higher temp allows the meat to go through a plateau when the collagen and connective tissues are converted to gelatin - making the meat moist and tender. This plateau can last from a couple to many hours, and some butts will go through a second plateau where they hang at a temp in the low to mid 180s. During either plateau it is not uncommon for the internal temps to even drop a few degrees.
  • Grillmama
    Thank you. We thought it had something to do with the pulling of it. I am going to wait for the 190-200 mark. The remote thermometer just went off at 170.

I have to leave for a couple of hours, so I think I will bump the egg temp down a little so maybe it will be ready to pull off by the time I get home. It has been on now for 13 1/2 hours.

Thank you so much.

I have a "How to T-Rex" question but I will save that for a later post.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I wouldn't bump it down. It will take a few hours to go from 170 to 200.

If you bump it down you risk fire problems -- just let it ride.
  • Grillmama
    o.k. I will leave it alone. "Step away from the egg"

:)
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    yeah, let it ride....I made that mistake on my last one.
    and it almost didn't get done.

it will turn out fine.

Rick