Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Sandwich for Lunch

Options
ChefBrian
ChefBrian Posts: 172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My other hobby beside egging is Live concerts. Took the day off to go to Reno tonight to see George Thorogood and Buddy Guy. Figured I get a little eggin in to help get me in the party mood.

Grilled some Chicken with a Chipotle Sauce. Added some Creamy Salsa and Pepper Jack Cheese on a Jalepeno Loaf.
2919730570067287234S600x600Q85.jpg
2226692490067287234S600x600Q85.jpg

Next weekend- Steve Miller Band and Joe Cocker- Life is good!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Great looking sammiches...where do you live that you are headed to Reno?

I lived in Reno from 1970 to 1983. Graduated from RHS and Nevada Reno...both of my kids were born out there...long time ago... :silly:
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Biggest chicken sandwich I ever saw.Looks great.
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Options
    Brian, why can't see your pic?
  • ChefBrian
    Options
    Kim, I live in Auburn, CA just over the Sierras and exactly 100 miles from Reno. Nice drive on a sunny summer day. Reno , (like everywhere I guess) has grown considerably since the 80's.
  • KaiserJorge
    Options
    hey,

that looks terrific!

i noticed you had a Shun (maybe Ken Onion?) santoku or chef's knife. I was considering buying a Shun knife (the Chinese Cleaver) and wanted your opinions on the Shun before i did. Is it sharp? Does it hold an edge well? Does it hold an edge for a long time before needing sharpening?

I am pretty decent at sharpening my knives with a DMT whetstones. one of my knives, though, never seems to hold it's edge for very long, and i'm finding that i'm sharpening it almost weekly (even though it should only be every few months)! granted, it's a total piece of cr&p knife, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem to hold an edge, but still. i wanted to know if the Shun can take a sharpening and hold it for a while.

thanks!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Brian,
    I wish I going with you, have a great time.
    Ross
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    That's a big sandwich. I look and imagine how tasty that must be and also imagine the gut-rot I'd probably get from eating all that! Well worth it in my estimate! :P
  • ChefBrian
    Options
    I have not had the Shun Knives (Ken Onion series)long enough to reccomend them. The fit and finish is excellent and blades are very strong. Not sure how they will hold an edge as I have only had them 3-4 months. So far I have a Chef knife and a 10" carver. I will use them for a while and If they hold up I will ad a Sankotu and a Bread Slicer.
    2698843300067287234S600x600Q85.jpg
  • KaiserJorge
    Options
    thansk for responding so quickly. it seems that the edge holds up pretty well...if you've been using them for 3-4 months already and haven't needed to sharpen them.

did they come pretty sharp out of the box?

also, if/when you do sharpen them, will you: (1) do it on a whetstone by hand; (2) use a professional service; (3) send it back to Shun for free sharpening; or (4) use an electric sharpener like a ChefsChoice, etc.

thanks again!
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    George Thorogood and Buddy Guy: What a show!!

OK, you sandwich looks great, too.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    send it here
    or shun. or use waterstones i would not even consider a chefs choice.
    shuns are sharp out of the box and hold an edge well but they are, as all japanese knives, brittle. it cannot go in the drawer or the edge will chip [badly].
    i have some excellent resouces on knives and sharpening send me an e-mail, and i will point you in the right direction.
    bill
    egger, novice japanese knife [and sharpening] student, coffee roaster, espresso maker, japanese gardener. too many addictions. B)
  • crawdad
    crawdad Posts: 115
    Options
    AsGeorge Thorogood would say, that sandwich looks bbbbbbad bbbbbbbad, bad to the bone. YUMMY!!