Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re: So I have a fews days off...

Options
Boogie
Boogie Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Update from this thread:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=483986&catid=1

So I spent my days nicely. You probably saw the pics of AZRP's shrimp that I did on Sunday. Monday, we went out for dinner to celebrate something. Then last night, I cooked some thick butterflied pork chops. Not the best I've ever had, but the best I've ever cooked. The enjoyment of the cook and meal was furthered by Miles Davis' "Birth of the Cool" that I had just downloaded.

Then tonight, I had my sister's family over for fajitas. One of the great things about living in AZ is always having a carniceria relatively close. Grabbed a couple of pounds of ranchera preparado. Threw that on direct with 1 green and red bell, 1 jalepeno, on anaheim, and one onion. Added a ton of lime juice before, during, and after. Got raves. Sorry, everyone was too hungry to get pics.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    No pics no fair. -RP
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Just a good ole thanks to both of you. Have a great weekend and someday soon an Eggfest near us. :)
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Boogie, Congrats on the cook. looks like everything went well.
    I spent the last two winters in AZ and would you explain to me what ranchera perparado is? Is it ranch steak? I went to a carniceria and I guessed it was a meat market, but I could not read the labels on the meat counter.( and they could'nt speak english at the meat counter:), I just bought what looked good and had pretty good success from it, but I would like to know what it is. ;)

thanks,
    ron.
  • Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    Options
    To answer your question, ranchera steak is from the flank like what Desert Filly has been talking about with her flap steak, but is a very thin cut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_steak

Then if you ask for it "preparada (prepared)," they throw it in a marinade for your, usually for free. This usually consists of some onion, peppers, orange slices, and some sort of super sweet juice, like Tampico (think Sunny D). I think they may also put in some worcester, but all of this depends on the place. I hope that helps.