Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fireproofing Wooden Deck

Options
Johnnyrod
Johnnyrod Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, your responses to my previous post ("Help - Placement Advice") have convinced me that I can't just place my new smoker (nor keep my existing gassy) directly on my wooden porch. So now, let's talk about fireproofing the deck beneath the smoker. Is there some type of fireproof flooring I can cover an area of the deck with upon which I can safely place the smoker? The way my house is situated, it would be a terrific inconvenience to have to try and place the smoker on the sloped grass surrounding my house.

Thanks again!

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I recently went to walmart in the auto dept they had a drip pan for a garage floor. It is about 1/2" deep and a rectangle about 3' by 2' for $9.99. My medium fits right in it and the wheels easily will scoot over the side to move and clean it. I also drilled several 1/4" holes for drain . If any ashes fall out they will be on the aluminum tray
    gerry
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    c77fd891.jpg

For about 4 months out of the year, I don't have those problems. :laugh:

I have seen things called "grill mats", they are a dark tan composite looking material. Just make sure they are the fire mats as a lot of them are just for preventing grease stains or scuff marks. Here is a link to Gfw's page with a picture.

http://bbq.yyyz.net/FAQ_Grill_Matt.asp
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have one of those mats, they are made of a cement fiber composite and are fire proof.

Most of the big box home improvement stores carry them for around $20. They aren't total protection but will stop those embers that drop and give some peace of mind.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    How did the GURU hold up in that weather?

Greg