Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picked up The BBQ Guru DigiQ II today...

Options
grEGGor
grEGGor Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What does everyone think of it? What should I try first?

Thanks

Comments

• Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    Options
    Where did you pick one up at?
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    I jealous. I have the competitor but want the digiq. Try something lo & slo like pork butts or briskets. Stay with it all night to convince yourself that it works as advertized (and it will), then the next time you use it you can set it, go to bed, and be confident it will do its job without worries.
  • grEGGor
    Options
    At the mothership. We are visiting the Atlanta area - from Canada - and stocking up on all of the things that are hard to find. Spending too much - but it has to last until the next time we visit :)
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    love mine..deciding whether to buy another one so I have one for the Large and the small or just a 10cfm blower for the large since I bought the 4 cfm first go around...I use it ALL the time for any cook below 450 and even sometimes to preheat to 450 before doing a higher temp cook...
  • grEGGor
    Options
    Haven't done the overnight cook yet - I think I will now!

Do you use it for shorter cooks - ribs? I think it would be great for that as well.
  • grEGGor
    Options
    I have the 10cfm for the large. I also have a small - maybe next purchase will be the parts for the small.

Glad to hear you like it! I can't wait to try it.
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    that using the Guru for a low & slow and NEVER having to worry about temperature issues. I sleep like a baby at night knowing all is good. In fact, I'm going to put a brisket on Thursday night and let her go overnight. I expect to take her off Friday PM in time for the poker game.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I think they are terrible. So send yours to me and I will take it off your hands and test it.

I love my Q2 congratulations you will really love it.

Use it on anything within its temp range. When I first got mine I used it a lot on cooks over and hour or so.

I find now I really don't use it very much with exceptions.

If I am doing a over night cook. If I know I wont have time or don't want to be bother looking at the egg I may use it. If I am not using the Q2 or Stoker I will use the Maverick ET-73 to absentee watch the egg. I usually use the Maverick even when I am using the Q2. It is just so I am not running over to look out the window.

I love the DigiQ2 and would buy another one in a minute if I lost this somehow.

It is fun to watch the Q2 bring the egg to temp and hold it there rock solid.

You didn't say which fan you got or which egg(s) you are going to use it on.

I use it on my large and I have the Viper (10cfm). I will most all the time once at temp close the Viper Damper down to 1/3 or 1/2 for the cook. If you notice the Q2 overshooting temp make sure you check the damper opening and close it down some.

The Q2 will force air in but it won't stop the inflow any more than the damper is set.

GG
  • grEGGor
    Options
    I have the same as you - 10cfm for the large. I think for a while I will use it on everything - but will definitely plan a long cook as soon as we are home.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Congrats!!

I gotta get me one of those.

Greg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    By all means don't loose a minute doing butt or brisket or pastrami or...

You will really have fun and enjoy a fantastic cook.

Travel safely.

GG
  • grEGGor
    Options
    Thanks! I will try to remember to post the results with some pictures.
  • Eggs Are Us
    Options
    grEGGor you bought the best thing since the egg. You just set and forget it. I would cook a Boston Butt 18 hours indirect at 225f you will love it. :)

Pat
  • grEGGor
    Options
    I can't wait to try - we haven't done the 18 hour cook yet. 6 or 7 hours for ribs is the longest so far. The boston butt or brisket will be next on our list for sure.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    i have all the parts for both..but just the one 4cfm blower and while it is adequate for the large..the 10cfm would be much better...
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    pics from my first Guru overnighter:
    IMG_0057.jpg
    Here they are off the egg the next day
    IMG_0061.jpg
    After pulling the pork
    IMG_0064.jpg
    You're gonna love it!
  • grEGGor
    Options
    Man.... looks good.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Walk in the park, expecially with the q2.

and, you better take some pictures of that first cook.

A little q2 prime rib ala thirdeye and some pastrami ala thirdeye and some other q2 cooks.

primerib.jpg
    primeribcut.jpg
    pastramiwet1.jpg
    egghfham1.jpg
    egghfham2.jpg
    stew.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    eggcioppinoa.jpg
    eggcioppinob.jpg
    doroast3.jpg
    doroast7.jpg
    chili2.jpg