Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Egg owners?

Options
Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a few questions for you mini-egg owners. I am considering getting two of them, but there are no BGE dealers within a 6 hour drive from me (save for bbq's galore which only had Large BGE's). With only a 9 inch grid, what exactly can they cook? Can you do indirect cooks with one? Could you do pork butt? What is the max/min temperature they will operate at? What do you use yours for?[p]Thanks again guys/gals,
-Joel

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    Did you ask BBQ Galore if they could order it,if so, what the price would be?????
    New Bob

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    New Bob,
    BBQ's Galore ONLY deals with the large..... no if ands or but's. They do not have the ability to order anything else. Besides, I can't stand that awful company, and refuse to purchase anything else from them..... I am more than happy to pay shipping instead of tax to %

• Bordello
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    I was just trying to find out if they told you the same thing they told me when I wanted to buy Miss Mini. I ordered from Alanta, price,$130, shipping to AZ. $50,about a year ago. [p]I like the BBQ Galore store but they are not much of a dealer for the BGE.
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p] I have done 2 good size burgers and 2 large sausage links
    together which pretty much filled the mini up. I have never
    tried low temp cooks on the mini, but the best thing I have
    ever done is one or two steaks at 750+. I think the fact that
    the fire is so close to the meat is the key. My wife says
    steaks on the mini are better than on the small or the large,
    (poor me, no medium yet).[p]Chuck

• Joel Ferman, I just got a mini to go woth my large. I use the mini mainly for camping, but I also use it when just cooking for the wife and myself. 4 burgers, 4 chops, 2 steaks are about its limit with one grill. You can get 2 grills and using bolts, put a raised grill on the mini thus increasing load capacity . I have never tried lo and slo but I would want to raise the grill if i ever did. maybe someone with more experience with a mini could better answer that, but given the small space and closeness of coals to grill it would be hard to do a long lo and slo.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I keep hearing that BBQ Galore is going out of business. Maybe it's a regional thing. I don't care for them at all either, they push their "IN HOUSE" stainless steel bbqs and they avoid ceramic. I offered 5 times to help sell their Eggs but they did the ostrich routine. [p]Tim
  • Fireball
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    Toss on a fire brick (9x5) and bake calzones. It also does a great job with baked potatoes.
    Fireball

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    Here is a picture of the mini loaded...I have had my mini up to 800 degrees.
    Larry

[ul][li]Pork Chops on the Mini[/ul]
  • Joel Ferman
    Options
    Tim M,
    What REALLY riled me up was when I tried to buy lump their. The salesman told me I should go get kingsford from Walmart cause it was better stuff, then when I told him I use it for a ceramic egg, he tried to tell me how horrible they were and that I should return it and buy a $150 New Branfels (sp?) offset smoker. The whole time I was looking at him like "What the hell?"
    -Joel

• Bordello
    Options
    Tim M,
    Here in AZ. the stores are very popular, I doubt they are going out of business. When they discontinued the medium egg, I thought they might be dropping the line but they do sell the large. When I bought my medium (on sale, $299,a good price here because of shipping) they did not even have a large on display. They had a large on display before I bought the medium but not when I picked it up. (I had put a hold on the medium over the phone) They are not ceramic friendly.
    New Bob

• Gator1
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    I use a mini for camping. The mini really shines in the high temp arena. I suppose you could do a lo/slo, but you wouldn't get much meat done for a lot of trouble. My favorite on the mini is spitted shrimp. Just put 6 shrimp on a bamboo skewer and cook at 400 degrees for 3 minutes on a side. You can paint them with a garlic butter sauce before cooking according to your tastes.Super high temp cooking is very good on the mini because it takes very little time to heat up and the grate is VERY close to the coals. Steaks and burgers are awesome.[p]The mini does not have a daisy wheel top available, so lo/slo temps might be a bit tricky using the old method with the ceramic top. Temp control from 300 degrees on up is no problem using just the bottom vent and leaving the top off.[p]Jim