Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I panic yet ?

Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going to install a thermometer in my medium egg of old but to my dismay have NO pre-drilled hole above the handles!!!!! Do I dare try to drill a hole myself and risk cracking my egg? I think I will wait to hear all of YOUR suggestions and ideas first . Help me OBE WAN KINOBE 's , you're my only hope !!!!!

Comments

• Dave, NO! NOOOOOOO! Ceramic requires a special drill,, and even then, you will probably break the dome. I heard someone say that either the mini or the medium don't have a hole due to the potential of the probe sticking into your meat when you cook. Wait for a medium owner to tell you the gospel..

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Dave,[p]While I'm not sure of the answer, I think I've heard in the past that it's not advisable to drill Humpty yourself. As KOC mentioned, your best bet is to contact BGE. I felt compelled to echo his sentiment because I gotta respect the Star Wars reference.[p]Big Green Egg
    3414 Clairmont Road
    Atlanta,GA 30319
    Phone:Toll Free 1(800) 939-EGGS (3447)
    Local (404) 321-4658
    Fax: (404) 321-0330
    Hours: Mon-Sat 10am-6pm ET -- Sun 12pm-5pm ET

• Dave,[p] Egg of old? Is it one of the old clay ones? I agree that a call to BGE is in order.[p] As for the smalls and mediums not having a hole, I got a small for Christmas and it had a hole -- just need to make sure the thermometer doesn't stick in your food.[p]MikeO
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    KOC:
    I have a new mini and it has the hole. Admittedly I have impaled my food several times, but you can cleverly save money on shishkabob skewers if planned corerctly.

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    MollyShark,
    Many references to impaling foods . On the BGE webpage,in the "photos" section , ALL of the eggs have a thermometer. But , they are all brand new . My medium (after thorough examination) has no hole . I thought they all had a pre-drilled after a certain date, thus giving mine some age. Never-the-less , the conflicting answers of 'yes' and 'no' is enough for me to call the 800 number of BGE and ask an 'eggspert' . Thanks to all who replied.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Dave, the answer will be "YES" its easily drilled to a slightly oversized hole to fit the stem. But call BGE to find the correct drill size and type. I would suggest using a piece of masking tape at the drill point to help center the bit and to avoid chipping. Call BGE.
    C~W[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Dave,make sure you use a masonry bit to drill the hole,it will take you less than two minutes.
    YB

• YB
    minihat.jpg
    <p />MollyShark,
    This will help solve that problem,this is a 3/4"PVC coupling with a fishing cork inserted in the coupling.
    YB

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    YB,
    Nice job YB! You couldn't tell it didn't come from the factory like that! That's a neat looking table too![p]Dr. Chicken

• YB,[p]Nice set up for the Mini. Where did you get the damper top?[p]Larry

• YB
    DR. Chicken,Thank you,i like to piddle with things.
    YB

• YB
    Larry Jenkins,
    I made the slide top out of a cap that protects the valve on a large oxygen bottle.
    YB

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    King-O-Coals,[p]I have a medium but the thermometer was installed when I purchased the egg. I've not ever had any trouble with the point of the probe sticking into the meat but am aware of the problem and avoid it if I have a lot of meat in the egg. Not sure about drilling into the ceramic, would make me nervous but can't see why it couldn't be done if you are careful and use a masonary bit and take your time.[p]Troy
  • sprinter,[p] Don't worry, it'll happen sooner or later. Heck, when I cooked the 26.5# monster turkey in my large BGE last year, I poked a hole in the thing with the thermometer. Took me a minute to figure out how dome temp got to below 100F so fast![p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    YB, that was brilliant...!! Which made me suddenly realize that this is what the appeal of the BGE is atleast to me..
    We can do things with it that makes it our very own cooker. Modify, change and improve!....
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• YB
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks,i cut a 3/4" coupling in half for my small egg and did the same thing,i also made a extra grill for the small egg,more room for ribs.
    YB