Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock Chicken First Try

run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
edited 4:02AM in EggHead Forum
I really don't think I did a very good job of prepping the chicken - it didn't 'lay flat' on the egg - but the taste was amazing.

Small whole chicken

IMG_1751.jpg

Spatched

IMG_1753.jpg

Seasoned with lemon pepper

IMG_1755.jpg

On the Egg

IMG_1756.jpg

Ready! 165 degrees......

IMG_1757.jpg

YUM!

IMG_1759.jpg

My daughter said, "Wow - that's juicy!!"

It was great!
·

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Looks great to me - love doing spatchcock.

GG
    ·
  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
    After you cut the back bone out turn the chicken over and with a sharp knife put about 2 inch slit in between the two breast and you can make it lay flat.
    Larry
    ·
  • run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
    Thanks - that's the tip I needed!
    ·
  • UnConundrumUnConundrum Posts: 536
    Isn't that what's it's all about ? Congrads :)
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You need to 'half' cock the chicken.
    ·
  • StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    I just lay it skin-side up on a cutting board and give it a good smack. Lays down flat w/o a cut.
    ·
  • EgginDawgEgginDawg Posts: 747
    That's what I do. I hit it in the back to break to bones a little bit and that sucker will lay flat. I love lemon-pepper chicken but haven't seasoned a spatchcocked bird with it yet...I will now.
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Very good job for your first OR ANY time!! ;) Try shoving the spice under the skin and squezzing a lime on it next time if you really like strong flavor!
    ·