Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first overnight cook....

Options
acertain
acertain Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I loaded my XL up with Wicked Good and a couple of small chunks of apricot, threw in a 9lb butt and it's smoking away.... Now I just have to decide how many times to wake up to check the egg. Unfortunately, my bedroom window looks out over the front of the house....

Andrew

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Good luck with the overnighter, man! For the first one I did, I fashioned a wiggle rod out of a coat hanger ("No more wire hangers!") to make sure that the airflow was good--you can put a nice 90° bend in it and work it from the lower vent through the cast iron grate to make sure that there are no chunks of lump stuck in the holes to obstruct your airflow.

Let us know how it turns out. If you lose your fire, or if the temps seem to be dropping too much, just fire up the oven to hold the pork butt while you fix the BGE setup.

I went with the DigiQ II earlier in the year, and I must say that it is one of my favorite accessories for cooking on the eggs, but I did do some cooks the traditional way to learn the technique.
  • acertain
    acertain Posts: 24
    Options
    Well, I already screwed it up. While I was in here on the forums, the egg temp jumped to like 400... :ohmy:

I pulled the meat off and am trying to choke the fire down (it's at maybe 350 now), but am I pretty much screwed and should just recover the meat in the oven?

Man, these things can heat up quick.

Andrew
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I pretty much sit with my egg the first half hour to make sure I don't overshoot my target. That's a lot less time then waiting for an egg to cool back down.