Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined and smoked turkey breast: results

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, cooked my first turkey breast on my medium this past weekend. It was not easy finding a fresh turkey this time of year--had to end up going to Super Walmart where they had a decent selection of "fresh young birds." I got about a 4.5 pounder (breast, not whole). I used the "Apple Brined Whole Turkey" recipe from Wise One's cookbook. Since this brine recipe was for a 12 lb whole turkey, I cut everything in half for my 4.5 lb breast. The container I used to hold the breast was JUST big enough, once I removed the orange slices. However, a lot of the brine shot out of the container (and on to my face) when I (accidentally) dropped the breast into the container. So, I probably ended up with 1/4 of the total brine recipe. I brined the breast overnight for about 10 hrs (the recipe called for a 24 hour brine for a whole 12 lb turkey, so I cut the brine time in half). The next morning, I threw some apple wood chunks on a 280* Egg with the grill grate, firebricks, drip pan, & V-rack setup, rubbed olive oil and pepper on the breast, stuck the Polder probe right next to the turkey popper, and closer her up for 2 hours and 45 minutes, after which time the Polder read 167*. The result was good, but not great. The breast was moist in some parts, but dry in others. Also, there was not a lot of flavor once you got past the surface. I think that maybe I just didn't brine it long enough. Or maybe I should have used a bigger container in which I wouldn't have lost so much of the brine liquid. Any thoughts/experience? Thanks!

Comments

• TRex,
    I have no experience with brining a beast but have found that injecting will add monumental amounts of flavor to the meat. Something to consider for the next try.[p]Beers
    Matt.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    South O,[p]I've heard and seen this done, but have never researched the method. What do you typically inject? How much? Where? Can you cook right after injecting, or should you wait? Thanks for the help!

• TRex,
    What do I typically inject? Depends on what I am in the mood for. I usually go with something simple like melted butter with some garlic in it for flavor or if I am really lazy, Italian dressing. Stogie has posted a few times about mixing oils and rubs together, filtering out the "chunks" so that it will flow out of the injector easier, but I haven't tried this yet. I have to admit that a clogged injector can be a bit bothersome.[p]As far as how much and where, I just start stabbing the thing like some kind of homicidal maniac until I think that I have injected it in enough places. As far as where, I aim for the thicker parts of the bird (legs, breast, etc), to help ensure more flavor and juiciness. I know that these aren’t specific answers but once you try it you’ll understand.[p]As far as waiting to cook after it is injected, I don’t think that there is a need but that’s just my opinion[p]Matt.

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Options
    TRex,[p]You can buy injecting syringes specifically for this purpose. You can find a lot of good marinades these days too. Frying turkey has really made this popular. I have fried turkey for years and is definately one of the best cooking styles IMO. Just about any kind of mariande is good, but I have a preference to a recipe that Emeril published.[p]Satrt with a fresh turkey. Many turkeys have been prepared with flavorings or a salt solution. (Butterball does this, for example). Generally, you want to inject all portions of the meat, breast, wings, thighs, etc. (Get the meat in the back too). As you are injecting, you may notice that a little leaks out of the holes. That's ok. Let the turkey marinate overnight. Use about 2-3 ounces per injection. usually, you will need several cups of marinade for a large bird.[p]You can also take some dry rub and apply underneath the skin, as well as on top of the skin, for more flavor at the surface.[p]Good Luck,[p]-Tom[p]
  • TRex,
    I've helped a friend of mine cook a few Cajun fried turkeys that uses the recipe below. The combination of flavors is so good you can't believe it and it isn't hot at all. I think it would work just as well on grilled turkey breasts, just cut the recipe in half and get as much of it in the turkey as you can. For the fried turkeys, we usually cover the skin with Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning but you can use whatever you like. Good luck.[p]Recipe:
    6 oz. chicken broth
    1/2 stick butter
    2 tsp lemon juice
    2 tsp celery juice
    2 tsp garlic juice
    2 tsp onion juice
    1 tbs Fajita sauce
    1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
    1/4 tsp Jalapeno sauce[p]Mix all ingredients and boil for 1 minute in sauce pan. Allow to cool to room temperature. Inject into turkey.[p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    TRex,
    Don't give up on brining yet. Let me make a few points to correct your cook. Firstly, don't cut the brine ingredients; they should be the same for a whole turkey or a breast. The only difference is that we would leave the turkey in for 24-48 hours, and the breast would only get 12-24 hours. Secondly, your cooking temp should be higher. This is a lean piece of meat and will not tolerate a slower cook at low temps. Temps of 325-375 are about right. Your "done" temp was fine. Lastly, when the brining is done, wash the bird, dry and put on your favorite rub - all over and then cook. I think you will get a great dish, the equal of or better than injecting.
    Have fun,
    Marvin