Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second time's a charm

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input last week. I used my egg for the second time this weekend (hopefully my schedule will ease up and allow more than once a week cooks soon).[p]This time my spatchcocked chicken was incredibly juicy, and I even tried a pizza, which although extremely misshapen (I need a peel or something to ease transition to the stone on placesetter), was absoutely delicious. Not restaurant quality yet, but by far my best ever.[p]I think the main things that contributed to the more successful cook were:[p]1. Using real lump charcoal: I went out and got a large bag of maple leaf lump, instead of using pure large hickory chunks, which was all I had available my first time. I could tell the difference within a few minutes, when the chimney's smoke became almost clear, which never happened using the pure hickory. I was also able to get my temperature higher and was left with more lump and less ash after the cook.[p]2. A much better chicken--Much meatier to begin with left it much juicier to eat. [p]Just one question this time--I have a cheap pizza stone and took it out of the egg after making the pizza so I could place in the grill for the chicken. The stone cracked in half since it didn't get to cool down slowly. It can easily be fit together, and I assume I can just cook on it as is for the time being, before replacing it with a higher quality, thicker ceramic stone. Am I correct?
Thanks again to all those who responded to my distress call last week. Can't wait to continue learning more wisdom from fellow eggers, and hopefully I'll be able to help out the newbies someday.[p]Aron

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    pizza1.jpg
    <p />Aron,[p]It sounds like you a well on your way to some great cooking. The pizza peel will make a huge difference in getting the pizza on and off, it will also be useful for the quesidillas that you should give a try. I'm not sure about using the cracked stone, I guess it can't hurt, but I do recommend that you get a BGE pizza stone when you buy one. It is made for the higher temps in the BGE, the others were designed for oven use at a lower temp. Also I would recommend a plate setter if you don't have one already. This will give you more ceramic mass under your stone and also raise it up to the level of the opening. It makes it much easier to do pizzas and is great inverted for indirect cooking. Good luck.[p]Chuck <><

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Aron,
    If you have a large egg, Crate and Barrel sells a 16 inch pizza stone that works marvelously in the large. I recommend it highly.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Aron,[p]I had the same misfortune with the "cheap" stone..got some J-B Weld epoxy @Ace Hardware, it is safe and can take temperatures up to 600 degrees, mixed the stuff and glued the stones together. I left mine to dry flat side down on wax or parchment paper, which will burn off should some stick from any oozing. Hope this helps..nde