Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canopy over the egg

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I have one of those 10x10 canopies and I want to put it up over the egg tonight so I can work in the rain. If I get the grill up to 700 for searing, will the heat be to much over the top of the BGE?

Don't want to melt the poor thing.
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I don't know about a canopy but we had ours under a covered, screen in porch and used it heavy with no problems. if you don't count me trying to burn down the porch from the bottom up :silly: :evil: :woohoo: :(
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    Been there done that...no melt.

I did however, place the tent so that the egg was covered, but near the side of the tent. It was lower there, but closer to the outside of the tent.

I did not have any issues, and made sure to put my tent on the uppermost setting. Mine has three heights.

Others?
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I would be concerned as well. Put a fan blowing right at the top of your egg, it will help some. If the rain is not falling straight down, which it usually does not during a storm, your egg will be closer to one edge of your canopy trying to avoid the slanting rain. That, plus the fan blwing the exhaust sideways may keep you from turning your canopy into a teepee. :woohoo:
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    It took me a minute to realize, fan plus rain equals a bad idea.
  • RebelEgg
    RebelEgg Posts: 45
    Options
    Never had a problem with the heat as much as the smoke.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    And the smoke might carry a little bit of grease...like when doing hamburgers. I wear glasses and when I do burgers if I get a face full of smoke, I gotta clean my trifocals every time.

Opelika, Alabama
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    I caught it :-)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I used an EZ-Up tent over my eggs for a while. No stain or noticable smell on the fabric. Worked fine.

I picked up an offset umbrella from Harbor Freight that I use now. 60 bucks, it isn't real heavy duty but is sure is nice.

GG
  • lisaaron
    lisaaron Posts: 12
    Options
    The wife and I keep our medium egg in its table under a 10X10 canopy. No problems with high heat cooking so far with the exception of too much smoke sometimes.

Hope this helps!

Aaron
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    So here is my set-up for today...hope it works...I have about $50 worth of steaks going on and the canopy was $80...so if I have an issue, I save the steaks :-)

DSC01471.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    That will work fine. Depending on the material the top cover is made out of most likely there shouldn't be any smoke smell retention on the next use. It is farenough above head most likely no one would notice if it did retain some of that wonderful smell.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do it - but then I do have a respect - naw make that fear of fire. May I suggest that you have a plan in place in the event it catches on fire - where to tip it etc. That canopy could become an airborn blazing sheet that you'll need to knock down and control quickly.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I can't tell from the picture if that is vinyl siding or not, but if it is you have another concern. I have heard fireman refer to vinyl siding as "plastic gasoline."
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I share RRP's concern but I'm a big weenie when it comes to fire. I have a brelly over mine. If I'm cranking up the Egg for a Trex I put it down, otherwise it is up. With no wind it gets a little smokey but not bad. I expect it will get a nice Q aroma in time. :laugh:

101_2902800x600-1.jpg
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    I have the exact same EZ-up canopy, same color and all. I also have the matching mesh screen side panel kit on mine. My canopy currently sits about 6' away from the egg table so I didn't expect it to be harmed by the heat.

On one of my first cooks with the canopy installed, the wind caught a few tiny sparks which exited the open dome and blew them on to the mesh screen, where they promptly burnt small holes in the screen. These sparks were so tiny you could barely see them but it was enough. I have since been careful to always put the stainless mesh strainer on top of my egg when cooking without the daisy wheel. This should catch most of the sparks but you never know.

screentop.jpg

My egg table sits on a concrete patio which is fully covered by a 3-vehicle carport made of aluminum and steel. The carport roof is about 5' above the top dome vent on the egg. I didn't expect this to be a problem either (and so far it hasn't) but I can hear the metal roof popping as soon as I light the egg. The heat rises out of the egg and causes the metal roof to expand. After just a few months of egging I can definitely see some signs of smoke buildup but nothing serious. My carport roof is white so even the smallest deposits show up easily.

Based on my experience I would not trust the egg under the canopy, especially with the mesh screen kit installed or when cooking above 400 for any length of time. If you must do it then keep the canopy on the highest setting, do not use the screen kit, and get a metal chimney topper which will vent the egg exhaust out from under the canopy. Someone recently posted a pic of one the forum which looked like it would do the trick nicely.
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    When the egg was at about 700 I could put my hand about 3 feet above the exhaust as there was a small breeze....It all worked out...the steaks rocked
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    That is very similar to what I do.

I have spent my last two turkeys under an umbrella like that.

:huh:

Greg