Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustarding the Meat

Options
Milton
Milton Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am relatively new here. I have done a rib-eye roast and a brisket with very good results. I want to do some port butts and ribs, and I keep reading about covering things with yellow mustard and letting it sit for 10 or 12 hours. Where did that start, and where might I find the recipe and procedures? Do you do the mustard on top of a rub or the rub on top of the mustard?[p]I am sorry to visit what must be an old thread, but I cannot access the archives.[p]BTW, I sincerely appreciate the incredible help and assistance you old timers are willing to give by way of recipes, photos, and advice. I know you're just bragging but it works for me.[p]Milt

Comments

• Fairalbion
    Options
    Milton,[p]The mustard thing is a way of getting a nicely flavored crust on the meat. Most plain yellow mustard is composed of vinegar, mustard seed & salt. The vinegar does some gentle pickling & tenderizing, the salt draws some of the juices out of the meat & mustard is an excellent emulsifier which binds everything together; including the rub or seasoning which I've been sprinkling (generously) over the top of the mustard.[p]Off subject... If you ever make a vinaigrette dressing, mustard is an excellent way of emulsifying the oil & vinegar - a little sugar takes the edge off it. Another good emulsifier for vinaigrette is LIGHT mayonnaise where the xanthan gum does a great job of binding together the oil & vinegar. Don't use regular mayonnaise - no xanthan gum.[p]Good luck - I'm a novice egg user planning on doing my first 2 briskets todsay.
    --
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    fairalbion,[p]I prefer to add the rub before the mustard (if I use any) as it seems to actually get into the finished product rather than just sitting idol on the top of the vinegar, water, mustard seed, added color and salt (ie: mustard). Each to his own way, but it does change the flavor if added to the meat 1st. I can't even tell what I used if I added it over the mustard. [p]Tim
  • Uncle Milt
    Options
    Tim M,[p]That is my thought as well, but I will definitely use the mustard when I do some portk.[p]Milt