Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets talk chicken wings !!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I want to cook up 4 lbs of chicken wings. I am going to use an in-house barbie sauce. Need advise re time and tempature also number of turns. Thanks, Bully

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bully,
    I like to do them fairly slow, but direct. 250-275 on a raised grate, flipping and moving around every 20 minutes for an hour to an hour and a half. We love wings around this house. And this way gives us nicely rendered and perfectly colored skin. Your temp will prolly creep up toward 300 by the time you are done because of the extra air that gets in from the flips, but the hotter temps at the very end will help crisp the skin a bit.[p]Just one way.
    Enjoy!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bully, Ditto on how NB cooks his. I put bbq sauce on mine when they have about 15 minutes to go so it will carmelize on them. However, be careful when you do this cause there will be some flareups as you apply the sauce and if you are not quick, some will crisp up too much.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    wing7.jpg
    <p />Bully,[p]I agree with NB. I have had problems with large loads of wings if the temps get over 300° - the fat in the wings starts a nice grease fire when you open up to add sauce. Normally I shut the bottom vent after I open the cooker to keep the fire from roaring to life as you brush sauce on 30-40 wings. [p]I have had better results from smaller batches of wings than from huge batches, I just don't like the grease smoke taste from very large batches. [p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Now you gone and done it! I am hungry.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Me too. I am itching for chicken wings again myself after all the posting about them. I have a bottle of Buffalo Wing sauce from Buffalo -- it goes reallll goooood on ChefRD's recipe![p]Tim
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Yep, wings are pretty awesome...we did a batch this past weekend, 1/2 using the Okinawan Wings recipe on this site, 1/2 were sprinkled with Dizzy Dust...both were great, but in different ways.[p]The dizzy ones weren't sauced at all...just sprinkled with the dry rub...turned out nice and crispy, but tender and with WONDERFUL flavor. The Okinawan ones were yummy too, but were dipped between turns. Next time, I'll add more hot pepper to them, but otherwise turned out great also.[p]We did them much like Nature Boy described also as far as time and temps...always a winner for us.[p]Have fun!
    QBabe
    :-)

• Bob-a-Cookin
    Options
    Tim M,[p]What would be the harm in doing indirect to keep the flare-up from happening and then direct at the end to crisp up the skin?...[p]Bob
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Tim M, you should try it on deep fried wings.......now thats what that sauce was made for......
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mop:[p]You gotta try the ChefRD recipe . . .

[/b]
  • Tim M
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]He won't try that or pizza. Stubborn maybe??[p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tim M,
    Or maybe a bad experience? I swore I'd never eat chicken wings again after that trip to a bar in Charleston, SC. :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Tim M,
    Can you please tell me if the wings you buy are frozen,fresh or what??? Brand if possible and are they flavored or natural???
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Tim:[p]Could be . . . I enjoy the challenge of replicating those extra ordinary foods eaten out at home. But as Roger said previously, what is the point when there are good purveyers of these items on every street corner at competitive prices in his area. Maybe he is just using his time better . . .[p]