Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Calzones Saturday Night

Mike OelrichMike Oelrich Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had some friends over on Saturday night and decided to try something different. Since my new BGE plate setter wasn't even dirty yet, I decided to try the calzone thing. Used a dough recipe from Nick Malgione's book "How to Bake" and did the kneading in my KitchenAid. Got sprinter's filling recipe off the BGE recipe page and did a little tinkering -- roasted some red peppers and chopped them up, added some cayenne, added a bunch of fresh basil, etc. Preheated the BGE to 500F with the plate setter installed and a 17" octagonal kiln shelf on top for a pizza stone (I've had some bad luck lately with the store bought cheapie stones (they keep breaking in half when the flames hit them!)). Chucked the 'zones in there and let 'em cook for about 20-25 minutes. Served with with asparagus in roasted yellow pepper sauce Awesome! Thanks for the idea sprinter![p] BTW, my new digicam finally arrived on Friday (got an unbelievable deal onlinethrough a somewhat contorted process of coupon code shuffling, then had to sweat it out while I waited to see if I actually got what I was promised -- I did!) and I got some pictures. Hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with my ISP soon to get some space set aside.[p]MikeO

Comments