Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chips versus Chunks

Options
Griller
Griller Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone, happy weekend to you all.

I'm in my fourth week of Eggin' and have made burgers, a steak, half chickens, brisket, and a couple of pizzas. I've used the BGE coal and wood chips for most of my cooks but noticed I wasn't getting as much of the smokey flavor as I would expect. I bought some pecan wood chunks yesterday which definitely put the flavor to the chicken I did last night. This made me curious how others fuel their fire. So an open question to you Eggsperts out there - when you cook do you use chips or chunks (or neither :woohoo: ) and why? If you use the wood in your cooks, which kind do you find yourself using more often?

Happy Egging,
Griller

Comments

• porchegg
    porchegg Posts: 47
    Options
    While I too am still pretty new at this, I prefer the chunks over the chips. I was finding that the chips were burning out faster than I wanted. That really holds true for a low and slow. Not that I'm an eggspert.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    The egg is so tight that you could throw in sawdust and still gain some benefit. However, I use chunks whenever possible because they seem to smoke longer, in fact, I actually buy hickory firewood, and cut it down into huge chunks. I also use pecan, cherry, plum, crab apple, red oak,wine barrel chips and now rusty rooster was kind enough to pick some coffee chips that I still have yet to try. If anyone lives in the Atlanta area and would like some hickory to try, just let me know. HTH,
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I only use chunks, and usually only pecan and cherry. Once in a while I will use apple or oak. I stopped using hickory a while back - I think it overpowers most meats for my taste. I like to taste the smoke, the meat, the rub, and the sauce without any one element upstaging the others.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I used chips back in the old Weber days, I now prefer to use chunks. I use Hickory, Oak, Apple, Cherry and grape vine.
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    chunks smoke...chips burn.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    as you can see, no way is the right way.

i use whatever i have. chips, chunks, sticks, twigs...

i even use straight BARK alone, from the shagbark hickory tree. sweetest smoke there is, believe it or not. sweetest i've found, anyway.

as long as the smoke smells good, it'll taste good. just comes down to too much or not enough, and that takes time to figure out for yourself.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante