Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid Sweat'n Grease

Options
Ashman
Ashman Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to cook last night, got the egg to 375 and brown oooozzzz started coming out of the pours on the outside of the lid. Realizing that I had a moisture/ grease problem I decided to burn off and dry out the egg. Now I have a lid frozen shut. Not my best night on the egg. Has anyone else had the oooozzz problem, and how many adult beverages does it take to replace a gasket?

Gordon
Jacksonville, Fl

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    never heard of ooze out of the dimples but i did melt a bunch of grease ran down dome over gasket and down outside of egg.
    i should have posted annonamoulsy, as i will never live this down.....seriously, replacing the gasket is a time consuming pain in the ass especially if your gasket is like melted plastic/creosote. i would plan on making a day of it and saving the adult beverage as a reward for a job well done. re installing the dome after 1 too many sounds like a bad combintion.
    goods luck
    bill
  • Ashman
    Options
    The ooozzz was forming on the lid like little droplets over the hottest part of the lid. Kind of weird. The mothership says this happens in high humidty areas. We sure qualify these days. After the temp was up for a while, the moisture stopped coming out. It wasn't coming from the dome, I checked that first.

gordon
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Does it look like this? This was frozen shut too, I lit three starter cubes and put them in the bottom and took off the ceramic cap. That got the lump going and it opened around 450 degrees. -RP
    goop.jpg
  • Ashman
    Options
    I wiped it off the top as it formed, to keep it from building up and running off. I took pictues but left the camera at home. Was the gasket Okay after lighting and opening the lid?

Gordon
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Depends on what you call OK. My gasket is pretty much nonexistent, more like a grease seal, but it was fine. -RP
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 35
    Options
    The "ooze" is normal. I sympathize, freaked me out thoroughly the first time it happened to me. It doesn't actually mean your egg's dirty. The ceramic is porous and moisture can get in; the next high-heat cook drives it all back out. It happens to me reliably if it's been really wet and I haven't had the egg up to high temps for a while. Nothing to worry about and it wipes right off (or the next rain takes it).

Your gasket may not be cooked. It may just be melted shut. Put some fire in the ash chamber under the grid, through the bottom vent, and let it heat the egg up. The gasket may release. It can be pretty far off mint and still work just fine.

Good luck...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Up in Smoke,

Replacing the gasket doesn't need to be hard. I have had to do it 4 times now and it takes about 30 minutes per surface.

If you or anyone needs or wants details on how I did it and what I used email me using the e address on my profile.

GG