Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is flaky crusty seafood possible with the egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I like to make fish on the grill - and I just got a new Egg -
I tried to make a halibut steak with the BGE - I put on some spices (mixed with a little mayo) on some foil, skin side down, and put it in the Egg @ 250 (like the the cook book suggests) -
I t was clear this was not working so I took the fish off pumped up the heat to 650 (hoping to sear it) put it back in for 5 minutes and then turned the heat down to cook. It must have been on for almost 15 minutes ( much longer than I normally cook fish) in the broiler or on the grill. I like my fish just a bit rare - but this was still uncooked. I had to put it back on the grill for 5 more minutes - but at best it seemed like it had been poached. Very moist - too moist - almost watery. I usually like a little crust on the top of my fish - sort of seared on the outside and then med rare on the inside. Is there any way to achieve this on the BGE?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    cindy,
    We like fish with a crust also, and I like to do it direct on the grill over hot coals...like a 500-600 established and burning-clean fire. Works best if the fish is at least 3/4 inch thick, and I like to cut the filets into 4 inch wide strips to aid flippage...or cook fish steaks. The key is to use a little oil on your fish, and a clean oiled grid. Another big key is to flip the fish carefully before it starts getting flaky and wanting to fall apart. And flip only once. 4-6 minutes per side is usually all you need.[p]Just how I do it. Works great for me.
    Enjoy your new cooker, and yell if you have any questions. Lots of great help around here.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ