Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Finishing my Ribs

Options
Ar-Cee
Ar-Cee Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I do "memphis style" ribs because I havn't got a clue as to how to "finish" my ribs. I have tried a couple of things so far and they turn out "gloppy" (is that a word?). Let me define some:
1. Spare ribs with the membranes pulled and the breast bone trimmed off (but beyond that, intact). Not a using a St Louis trim since my better half asked me where the rest of the "ribs" went. She loves the "soft bones" as she calls the cartilige. (each to there own).
2. DP RR for 2 hours, then yellow mustard and DP REE for about 30 minutes before they go onto the fire.
2. 3 to 3 1/2 hours indirect with 230 grid (about 245 dome) (guru handles this part)
3. Foil wrap 1 to 1 1/2 hours (depends on where they were when I "foiled" them. (Still at 230 grid)
4. Unwrap and run till done (45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the rack).

What can I do during part 4 to finish. I would like to add a bit of bark to the finished ribs (More browning) but do not want "burned" sauce. I have tried mopping with Sweet Baby Ray thinned with water, but, it really doesn't take the cooking (develops a real pastey flavor). I am thinking "up the heat (more fire)" and maybe try the Blue Hog sauces. I would appreciate any advice. My spouse says what I am doing now makes the "best ribs she ever had", but they still arn't right to me. (a man in search of the perfect spare rib is on a valid quest right?) Thanks in advance rc

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you want a thicker bark I would add some turbinado sugar to the top coat of rub at the beginning of the cook. Use less rub if you are getting a paste when you add some liquid toward the end of the cook.

After the foil stage I drizzle mine with honey then brush it to make a thin layer on the meat side. I cook them until the honey caramelizes:

Almost800.jpg

Presauce800.jpg

I then brush on a light coat of bbq sauce on each side, go 10 more minutes, pull them and rest 10 minutes before digging in.

Done800-1.jpg

I hope this makes sense, and is what you were looking for.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Well, she's right! Those little knuckles between the chef's delight piece and the rack are great if they've been cooked well enough not to break your teeth. As far as pasty taste, I do almost the same thing you've been doing except I mix clover honey with the Sweet Baby Rays instead of water (1/3 honey).

Since I like my ribs to be sticky, not wet, I paint them heavily with the sbr's mixture for no more than 1/2 hour at the end. Any longer and it makes the bark too dry, any shorter and it's too wet.

Foiling with apple cider vinegar...I've never done that for more than 1/2 hour, no matter where they were. It can make the meat too mushy.

My (with Car Wash Mike's help) method is more like 3-1/2-1/2 on baby backs, and 3-1-1 on spares. During the 4th hour, I run the temp up to about 275* while in the foil.

You might want to try John Henry's Pecan Rub with your DP rub. It's got more sugar in it, which might help the texture of your bark.

Hope this helps.
  • cast_and_blast
    Options
    Fidel (Rod F.) is right on the money. One thing to add is that you do not want to go with higher heat once you have the honey or bbq sauce on - this will burn at higher temps. Leave it low and slow and let it slowly set up.

I rarely coat mine while cooking - if anything I'll give them a light coating after cutting them into 1 or 2 bone segments (think coating wings in a large stainless bowl). They are so good "naked" that I don't want to mess with sauce. But, to each his own...

Good Luck!

Scott
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks for the help with this. I will cut back on the amount of rub I am using. I am definitly creating "paste" when I add the apple/viniger during the foil wrap. I have ordered some of the JH rubs and am just waiting for them to get here. I will add a little Turbinado Sugar to my base rub and try for a more "carmelized" finish. Fidel, those pictures are great. Makes me want to start another rack today. Thanks to all for the advice. I will give it another shot. rc