Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

aluminum foil

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be cooking a 4lb boston butt tomorrow. I would like to accomplish "pulled pork".Is the key to cook low and slow, or do I alsoneed to wrap with aluminum foil? I lack experience in super tenderness while smoking. What teperature to cook at?Help. please define smoke ring. thank ya'll for the help,200*?. This sight is very iteresting and helpful. If I wrap with aluminum foil, how to accomplish hickory smoke flavor?

Comments

• duncanrx
    Options
    rw,
    No need to use aluminum foil. Set up indirect with a drip pan. I cook mine with dome temp 225 to 250, using a polder thermometer. When it hits 195 to 200 it's done... Pull off the egg, Wrap in foil and cover in towels and let rest for 30 minutes. Then pull till you can't pull anymore. Best thing I do on the egg or boston butts.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    rw,
    Not sure if your cooking on a ceramic cooker or not. My comments will be based on cooking with one.
    I would not wrap the butt. I would give it a good dry rub, lot's of rub.
    Cook indirect anywhere between 200 and 275 depending on how much you wish to monitor the cook, making sure the fire does not go out.
    You meat temp will shoot up pretty quick and stabalize around 160-170ish. This will hold for sometime. It is at this point where the meat starts to break down, making it pullable. Eventually, and maybe hours later, the meat temp will hit 200*. That is when it's done.
    I would suggest a lot of hickory chips too.
    If you want a detailed article on this process, go to the recpie section. Under Pork you will see Elder Wards comments. Study that for a while and have at it. You in for a real treat....
    I do suggest reading Elder Wards comments though...
    Here is a link..

[ul][li]Elder Ward's Way[/ul]
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    butt.jpg
    <p />rw,
    Here is a link to my recipes page. Click on "Pork" and you will find Elder Ward's writeup and my description of my first low and slow butt cook. Hope you find something helpful there.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Recipes Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Joel Ferman
    Options
    P8210036.JPG
    <p />rw,
    I cooked this bad boy @ 200 degrees until the 2 temperatures met. Took a HELL of a long time, but when my wireless thermometer went off, this is what was greeting me.
    -Joel