Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Estimated Time for Rib Roast?

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a 6.5 lb standing rib roast with the rib. I plan to cook at about 220 for a recipe I got from the smoke and spice book. Any estimates for how long this should take to get to 140-150 degrees?? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    jrlandry,[p]Starting with a room temp roast 40-45 minutes/pound should put you in the ballpark. Figure 50-60 minutes/pound for a refrigerator temp roast. To obtain a nice char over the entire surface I suggest that you cook it directly on the grill and face each side toward the coals for 30 minutes (5 sides - 2 ends, the thickest side at the base of the bone, the bone side, and the side opposite the bone side). End with the bone side down and finish the cook that way. I use a firebrick as a prop when needed.[p]BTW, Welcome to the forum.[p]Spin[p]