Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Questions

Options
Gloria
Gloria Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have a whole ham that is scheduled to be cooked on Saturday evening for a lo 'n slo......any suggestions about temp and time this might take? Also, have lucked into 5 lbs of frog legs. Don't believe I have read anything about cooking these on the Egg??????? Again, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Gloria,
    Can't help on the ham, but we have done some KILLER froglegs on the egg. Rub em down with a good spicy rub, and grill them hot and fast. 400-500 or so for a few minutes a side, depending on how big they are. Even 350 for a bit longer would prolly do you well. But if they are small, you will want higher temps to brown before you dry them. [p]Maybe even a coating of oil before you coat with the rub.[p]We can't get good ones locally much, but when we have been able to get them, they have been righteous.[p]Jealous
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    froglegs2.jpg
    <p />Gloria:[p]We are going to do a ham this weekend also. I take pre-cooked hams to an internal of 140º. Consider a little pecan for smoke and maybe mop with a little honey and brown sugar near the end of the cook.[p]As for the frog legs, brush with olive oil and seasoning with your favorite poultry rub is one suggestion. Another is to marinate in Italian dressing with fresh crushed garlic overnight. Let us know how they turn out!
    [/b]
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Gloria,
    Thanks guys for the help on the frog legs; can't wait to try them. As to the ham, this will be a fresh ham, not a cured one. I/m thinking that we will need to do it kinda like a Boston Butt????

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    djm5x9,
    How did the frog legs turn out?
    I love em fried but have never tried to grill.

• djm5x9
    Options
    froglegs3.jpg
    <p />ravnhaus:[p]They were great! You want them done, but not over cooked. So it is important to get a feel for how long it will take to cook without opening the dome every two minutes.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Gloria:[p]I did a whole fresh ham once and I believe I took it to 160º internal for a nice sliceable product. I cross-scored the exterior and gave it a glaze. It was OK, but I have better luck with the pre-cooked hams.[p]Let us know how yours turns out; I need suggestions on how to improve my fresh ham technique.