Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need alternative rib rub to DD, GASP!

Options
BigGreenDawg
BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seriously, I like the original dizzy dust but there is something in it that I just don't like and I don't know what it is. I LOVE the cowlick DDust as well as others but for my ribs I am wanting to try something else. I have tried it three times an am turned off by this taste (whatever it is) everytime; todays was the third which I cut 50/50 w/ turbinado sugar which made it better but they still had that taste that I can't seem to get past. I can't really say what I am looking for in a rib rub except to say I don't like much heat but more savory flavor and a little more salt doesn't bother me at all in fact I only put onion salt and black pepper on my country style ribs and love them.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    John Henry's Pecan Rub. You won't be sorry.
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    Thanks Brad,
    I was looking at his website earlier today thinking about ordering some.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Seconded....I love JH Pecan on pork.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Big green,

I also have been on the search for some kind of pork rub other than DP. I did find the pecan rub at a somewhat local(50mi) store in the small container. I think its probably the best rub ive ever used. First trial was on some wings (didnt have time for pork) and they were awesome. Family raved about em. last night I cooked 4 slabs of spares with it and they were the best spares Ive done by far. I used hickory chunks for smoking and pecan rub and I couldnt believe it. I went to their website and ordered the 29oz. "texas sized" jar after seeing it in one of beanie-beans post. This is all my opinion but Im in love with it. Cant wait to try it on a butt.
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    Good to know Rolling, I'll be ordering some in a few minutes :P
    Thanks
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    My standard rub for ribs is JH Pecan. Been using it regularly since I bought my egg. A friend of mine wanted that same flavor on his ribs, but asked if I could add just a little heat, so I mixed some Dizzy Dust with pecan rub. It made a nice flavor. In fact, I'm thinking about doing it all the time now.

Always willing to try something new.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    My favorite is Dinosaur. I used it too frequently and my wife is burned out on it. I haven't made ribs with Dizzy Dust. Next time she'll get the Dizzy Dust.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    every one should try these atleast once in their lifetime. i dont go by times, just cook them til they are done either flat on a really raised grill, or verticle as posted, this is a direct cook. i just put it on a couple hours before cooking as recommended. you can get the juniper berries at penzeys and a jar will last years and years. a little extra sugar and doubling the recipe doesnt hurt.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/recipes/pork/pork0081.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm still using DP, but not DD. I put on a sitting layer of DP Raging River and rub it in. Let sit for a couple of hours, I then slather yellow mustard and a medium heavy layer of DP Red Eye Express. I take them from the mustard and REE rub to the grill within 15 or twenty minutes. I love the bark when these are done and it leaves a deep flavor that is laid back but not weak. I also finish these without sauce. I do foil (about 3/1/1) but no sauce till the table. Just my 2 cents, but, these are good... thanks rc
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    There is a few pretty good recipes in the BBQ bible by Raichlen that I've used several times with great success.
  • Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    Mark feel free to try Mitch's Oh Yeah!

It has been getting rave reviews.
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    Oh Yeah!!! :woohoo:
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    Thats sounds like a winner for sure, I will try that next side by side with some pecan.