Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help on 1st. brisket!!!

Options
Huevos Verdes
Huevos Verdes Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in need of a little help for my first brisket cook on my Large BGE.

I have a 4 pound beef brisket that is a pretty square cut of meat.

I was just wondering if anyone could help with some time/temperature info. based on the size.

I think I'm also to go indirect heat with the plate setter, but if not or if someone has any help it would be much appreciated. 
Also if anybody has any rub/basting help that would be appreciated too.

Gracias/Thanks

Huevos Verdes

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a variation that is shorter time and very moist, as I have eaten it!

Beef, Brisket, FlaPoolMan

This recipe was given to me by my BGE salesman at Pinch-A-Penny here in Melbourne, Fl.

BrisketPat.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Whole Brisket
    Mix:
    1 12 Ozs Beer
    12 oz Water
    1/2 cup Brown sugar
    10 Shakes Worcestershire Sauce
    4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Cayenne pepper
    5 Shakes Tabasco, to taste
    2 Tsp Onion powder,
    2 Tsp Dry mustard.
    S&P to taste
    Heat and Serve:
    2 Pkgs Au Jus, Mix as per package instructions.

Procedure:
    1 One whole brisket with fat trimmed then cut in half (to fit in steamer trays later---8 X 10 which are 1/2 commercial tray size).
    2 Rub the night before with your favorite steak rub, I use Montreal Steak Seasoning.
    3 Place both pieces on the egg at 250-275 direct for 1 1/2 hrs each side.
    4 Remove brisket pieces and put in steamer trays, 8 X 10 inches, dividing the liquid. mix and cover tightly with foil.
    5 Return to egg at 250 indirect (they can be stacked on top of each other) and leave for 4 to 5 hours.
    6 Remove and discard cooking liquid, slice against the grain and add au jus sauce (about 2 cups each container) and serve.
    7 If precooking for the next day wait until you are ready to reheat to add the au jus.
    8 Not the conventional way to make a brisket but it is really easy and the taste is great.!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, FlaPoolMan, 2008/06/30
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
    Here is a good LINK that may help.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    with a small brisket they tend to dry out so i put a layer of bacon on top for basting purposes. grid temp of 240-250 pull at 195 to 199 and let rest for a while before slicing
    DSC_9753.jpg
    DSC_9758.jpg