Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Smoke 'leak'

run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:unsure:

First time I've used the pit viper - when the fire hits wood and really starts smokin' and the pit viper is blowing, I'm seeing some smoke leaking out around the bottom damper. I have the pit viper adapter installed tightly. I don't think it's a big deal, just looking for confirmation.

Thanks

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    How do you have your daisy set, should be small petals open about 1/16". Then don't worry about leaks, the guru will push out air wherever it can. -RP
  • egretegret Posts: 4,010
    That'll happen frequently, along with smoke coming out around the gasket. Don't worry about it........
  • run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
    Thanks AZRP and egret -

Didn't get any leak around the gasket and this morning all is well - egg has crept up to 235 (I did have the ramp up feature enabled but the damper was half open - probably should have had the damper at about a 1/4 - daisy wheel at about 1/8 instead of 1/16 as suggested.) and the shoulder, right now, is at 189. I peeked. Bark is great - pushed on the meat and the juice oozed. I think I'm gonna pull it at 195. Cooked a lot faster than anticipated, but that's okay - it cooked for 12 hours at a grate level pit temp of 225 - 230. It ought to be a good one!