Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Smoke 'leak'

run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:unsure:

First time I've used the pit viper - when the fire hits wood and really starts smokin' and the pit viper is blowing, I'm seeing some smoke leaking out around the bottom damper. I have the pit viper adapter installed tightly. I don't think it's a big deal, just looking for confirmation.

Thanks

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    How do you have your daisy set, should be small petals open about 1/16". Then don't worry about leaks, the guru will push out air wherever it can. -RP
  • egretegret Posts: 3,997
    That'll happen frequently, along with smoke coming out around the gasket. Don't worry about it........
  • run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
    Thanks AZRP and egret -

Didn't get any leak around the gasket and this morning all is well - egg has crept up to 235 (I did have the ramp up feature enabled but the damper was half open - probably should have had the damper at about a 1/4 - daisy wheel at about 1/8 instead of 1/16 as suggested.) and the shoulder, right now, is at 189. I peeked. Bark is great - pushed on the meat and the juice oozed. I think I'm gonna pull it at 195. Cooked a lot faster than anticipated, but that's okay - it cooked for 12 hours at a grate level pit temp of 225 - 230. It ought to be a good one!