Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Brine

run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Checked the recipe section first....
Does anyone brine their pork butts before cooking? If so, any recipes out there? I've got a 13 pounder I want to put on tomorrow night and was thinking of putting it in a brine tonight.

Thanks

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    BRINE + PORK + HEAT + TIME = HAM

Nope I don't brine pork.

I would bet that 13 pounder is actually two 6.5 pounders.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Actually, AB brined a butt for his "Q" episode of Good Eats. I have yet to try it. Naturally the experimenter in me says go for it, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • run4jc
    That's actually where I saw it the first time. He didn't brine it to make it ham, he brined it with molasses, salt and water. I'm not a big molasses fan - I thought maybe I'd use apple juice, salt and water - maybe some brown sugar.

Here's his recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_23019,00.html

Thanks for joining in the discussion - I think I'm gonna try it and I'll report the results.
  • run4jc
    Actually, it's an entire shoulder/butt. I'm going to try cooking it whole and see how it comes out. I figure I'm looking at a good 20 hour or more cook - I'll use the DigiQ2 to make it 'safe.' Since the shoulder, if I am understanding correctly, is basically the butt and the ham together, I won't brine this, but I do have a 4 pound butt in the freezer that I'm going to let thaw in the brine recipe. Cook 'em both at once - of course the butt will be pulled ahead of the shoulder.

I'll have a ton of meat, but there's never any shortage of people around my house to devour it.
  • Fireboy
    Fireboy Posts: 26
    I tried the AB brine on a 7# butt and it worked very well. The meat seemed to hold more moisture which it I think the reason Alton is so up on brines. Try it once anyway!
  • run4jc
    Thanks for that - great to hear. I'm a big AB/Good Eats/Feasting on Asphalt fan and I've used his brines before. Once I did a turkey (in the oven - alas - before I acquired my Egg)and it had great flavor and moistness -

Alton talks about the tendency of the slightly salty liquid to force its way into the meat fibers.

Did you notice any 'different' flavor to your butt?

Long live the

"Grande Verde Huevo!"
  • MN_Chuck
    MN_Chuck Posts: 26
    I did a 12 lb shoulder and it just barley fit into the large with an extension grate. It took 22 hours at 215 using the DIGIQ. I only use a 12 by 11 drip pan however. What size egg are you using? Maybe when you get it setup you could snap a pic and post it.

Have a good time.
  • run4jc
    I have a large. I figure it'll fill the Egg......still hoping I can get the smaller pork butt in. I have the extra grate on 'legs' - I'll put the butt under the shoulder. I'm quite the 'photo nerd' so I'll take lots of photos from start to finish.

Whew - 22 hours - I'd better get it on the egg as soon as I get home from work tomorrow!
  • Fireboy
    Fireboy Posts: 26
    Yes, slight and I mean slight salt flavor. I will be using it again!