Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg Gasket issue.

Options
milesofsmiles
milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just gave a customes a new gasket after about one mo. and a goodly amount of L N S cooks plus several high temps. Seems the gasket laps over the inside rim of the lower part of the egg. After inspecting all our eggs on the show room I found our X-L has the same prob. so I will get an Exacto type blade and attempt to solve this issue. SO that being said please all NEW EGGS please re-look and inspect and trim / adjust your felt gasket. Sorry for the long post, But we do use words to chat. Miles out. live long cook EGG-XL-ENT.

Comments

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Milesofsmiles, I'm fairly new to the BGE and seems you are a dealer so any experience info is helpful. I only have 1 BGE to date (XL)and by reading the forum and in my experience seems to be problem with the XL's gasket sealing in the hinge area ( about 25-30% of total area). Seems some, including myself, on the forum have adjusted, removed springs, and tried other measures to correct but many have had little success. I now realize the XL is a different cooker than the Large, Mediums, and others. BGE has updated the hinge/spring but still needs some work, IMO,. The XL dome is so big and heavy their attempts to make it easier to lift has caused gasket sealing problems. I was at my dealer yesterday and they were assembling an XL and did show me a tip to help. After assembled- loosen the 8 slotted nuts/bolts on the hinge/spring area and then 'pull the dome to the front' and retighten. This did help but by the dollar bill test there was an improvement but still not the same as sides and front. My gasket does show signs of damage even after only 5 weeks of use maybe would be better with a new gasket.
    Still love my Egg. TNmike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Miles,

I got off the phone with BGE this morning asking about the gasket hanging over on the inside of my medium egg. I was told it shouldn't be a problem and not to worry about it.

Not sure one way or the other...

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Mike,

There is tons of help here on the forum. Sometimes I try the suggestions/advice and I can't seem to get the results or performance other folks are getting.

A good solution is to pick up the phone and make a quick call to BGE and ask them.

Kent
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I’ve posted asking about a gasket failure in another thread…
    But will chime in here regarding an alignment issue.
    My dome seems to set a bit back on the egg when closed…So, if I "adjust" as suggested above with a loosening of the nut / bolts on the hinge and pulling the dome forward…I’ll be able to adjust the dome on the egg? And this would be good??!!??