Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody cooked steaks directly on Lump?

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Egg-heads,
I saw on Alton Brown's show steak cooked directly on the lump? Truth is I don't want to screw up a steak cooking it that way. I use the TREX method for steaks so it is hard for me to egg-speriment with something new. ANY EGGSPERIENCES :silly:
~Pharmeggist

Comments

• -=mirko=-
    -=mirko=- Posts: 54
    Options
    I haven't yet, but others have. They call it "caveman" style. I'm sure some pics will show up here shortly, or you can search the forum for "caveman".
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    JLockhart calls it "caveman" and he has a lot of pics. But he left this morning on a well deserved vaction. I think it'll be about a week before he gets back.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I do this all the time with flat iron steaks - its called a dirty steak
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    ;) THanks for the info.... ;)
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Pharm,

TNW has something like this on his site with some pics. It's for a flank steak to serve with Fajitas, but you could probably adapt the idea.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flanksteakfajita.htm

-John
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Ok do you make fajatas with a flat iron steak? How long do you cook them? THANKS IN ADVANCE
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    THanks for the whiz link... I can honestly say I haven't run across that one. How I don't know. :woohoo:
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    THanks for the tip ;)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    the first time i did it i had a london broil.. not too expensive..

but the reason i did it was i had the large doing some sides at 350-400 and wanted to t-rex a london broil (why i don't know) so i fired the small up and threw the steak on but it dropped temp and never recovered so i got mad threw the grate over my sholder blew on the lump (which had bees stirred around prior to lighting) and threw it on... i got a sear then ;)

B.T.W. haven't posted to you in a while i hope everything is ok for you.. you seem to sneak in here at night and i am usually in bed which is where i need to be now :blink:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    I slip in at night after the children are sleep! This is my therapy to take my mind off of work :laugh: It takes me a while to look at all the threads of the day :blink:
    ~Pharmeggist
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    flank1.jpg

I do it all the time. You won't screw up a good piece of meat. I have a recipe on my website the combines AB's method and cooking veggies: Flank Steak Fajitas

Just make sure you have lots of red hot coals. One way is to start a chimney of Cowboy and let it get rip roaring hot. Dump it on top of the charcoal in your cooker and then let things get going.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=459343

this was complete cooked caveman not just the sear. tri tip rested in preheated cooler [ala broc] while taters cooked. meat taken off at less than 120 if i remember do to the planned rest
    bill
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    a bit off topic....

what is the TREX method?
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

go here. basically it is high temp sear>>rest>>>roast at lower temp till done.

lockhart sears caveman and then finishes ala trex..teh cook i posted was all done on the coals.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Is there some advantage to cooking caveman-style? You can char, sear, or burn a steak on a hot grate and lower the grate if needed, so why eliminate the grate? Seems like it would just push bits of ash and charcoal into the meat and the juices would burn off more rapidly, possibly leaving the steak tougher and less moist. This would also cut off oxygen to the coals which would lower the temp a bit, and expose the meat to more direct smoke from burnt fat and juices. Grates are easy to use and self-cleaning so what is the upside to a caveman cook?

In the scouts they taught us to fry bacon and eggs in a paper bag over an open fire. Worked great in theory but in real life the bags almost always burst into flames and then we had scrambled eggs and bacon caveman style. Of course we quickly abandoned that approach and promptly stole a Coleman stove from a neighboring troop late at night while they were sleeping. And don't forget that ceramic / stone ovens have been in use for thousands of years so the egg is actually more caveman style right out of the box. :side:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    How about using a grid smaller than designed your egg(like a small grid on my large egg) and laying it directly on the coals, for kind of a "semi-caveman" style. I don't have a spider.Then moving the steak up to reg level or raised grid for finishing?