Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A story I think you'll enjoy

Options
Dos Huevos
Dos Huevos Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't been around in a while what with my new job and third child added to the mix in the last year. However, I thought this was worthy of posting.

As you may or may not know, this past Thursday was my 40th birthday. There was much rejoicing and celebrating (photos to follow later this week), but the point of this entry is to tell you about one of the greatest gags ever.

I am a big green egg owner. I have two larges. I love my BGE's. I love cooking on them. We had some amazing rack of lamb Thursday night, and more stuff thru the weekend.

The reason I'm telling you this is that I'm sort of famous / notable in the little enclave of ours as a BGE expert, as is my brother in law that lives across the street.

One of our buddies in the neighborhood has had his BGE for about two years now and got it thru me. He is a nervous cooking guy and as such, he's usually asking me or my BIL for advice on cooks, especially on ones that you do very often.

So here we sat Thursday night, full with draft beer and my brother in law mentions that our buddy is doing his very first overnight cook of Boston Butts. Even better, our buddy was cooking them for his son's baseball team party the next day.

So my BIL and I (and about five other drunks) start talking, and we decide to commit butt larceny. So I set my BGE up for a butt cook and let the temp get settled for about an hour and a half, and we hit the road.

We had a (difficult to find) sober friend agree to drive us over there. Armed with our own aluminum pans and some food service gloves (food safety is never a joke kids), we set out to make our move.

Our driving friend parked behind an ice plant about three houses away, and we drunk folk proceeded to ninja / special ops traverse the yards and enter the subject's back yard area.

We found just what we expected: a perfectly set 230 degree large Big Green Egg containing two nice looking sevenish pound boston butts. My BIL and I grinned at each other and moved the butts to our aluminum pans and, before leaving, dumped a pile of that night's chicken wing remnants in their place.

We laughed our butts (pun intended) off on the way back to my house, and after getting the pork on to my grill, we all hit the rack and called it a day.

The next morning, I check the temp.

Perfect.

I open the BGE and look, and the butts are spectacular. Possibly a top ten ever effort on my part. I removed them, wrapped them in foil and towels and set them in an Igloo cooler to finish the work. So I head over to the BIL's house to see when he wanted to return the meat.

As I was walking in the house, I hear his cell phone ringing, and right after that, the house phone is well. I was about to close the door when I heard my wife from across the street saying my Blackberry was ringing. I was pretty sure of the source of all three phone calls.

After a moment of chatting, we agreed that my 12 year old nephew should go to the door and say "Excuse me, but I am raising money for a state baseball tournament. Would you like to buy some pulled pork?"

We drove over, went to the front door and rang the bell, and Mrs. Victim answered the door.

She did NOT look pleased. Or amused. She looked pissed.

Our buddy came to the door and, after some cajoling, he more or less agreed that it was funnier than all get out that someone stole his overnight cook.

The best part for me was that I had drilled into him the following advice:

Never ever look. At least not before the 12 hour mark. You KNOW it's not done, so don't mess up the joo joo by peeking.

Trust the Egg. It won't let you down.

So when he lifted the lid at 8:30am and saw nothing but a very crisp pile of wing carcasses, two things happened:

He yelled to his wife (who was just returning from Starbucks): "Honey!! Someone stole my meat!"

He then thought to himself "Jesus, I burned those butts down to nothing."

Nevermind that it is very unlikely to burn something so badly that it's DNA and / or species changes. I mean really.

I must have laughed for half an hour straight, but all the while I was telling our buddy how to proceed as far as foiling, resting in the cooler and pulling the pork. I also said that I'd come over and help pull it if need be. I even said that having that meat stolen by me was kind of like having your children kidnapped by The Super Nanny or the Dali Lama. His butts really couldn't have been in better hands.

Fast forward to my little birthday soirre Saturday night, and I was sort of shocked that he and his wife didn't show up for my party after saying they'd attend earlier in the day. But I kind of understand why now.

The stolen butt story was the talk of the party (besides grown men funneling beer). Everyone there, literally, was talking about our prank. I am prouder of that prank by the moment and I look forward to doing it to someone else in the future.

Anyway, I just wanted you all to know the story and to watch your butts. You never know when a group of drunken neighbors may try to steal yours.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    oh my god. I have tears in my eyes!!! That is so something I would do. with out a drink in me mind you. I don't even want to think about with a little grape cool aide in the mixture. still laughing LOL I can just picture him opening the dome and looking at the chicken bones. :pinch: can you imagine the thoughts racing???
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Great story/prank ... and happy 40th!!

We've missed ya man.

BTW, how is the new job??
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Happy 40th Todd, you really need to get a life. :lol: -RP
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    It's good to see you back posting. We've missed seeing you around here.

That is a beauty.

The funniest one I've seen was a party at a friend's house where they went and videotaped the empty toilet area of the bathroom ahead of time. When the first woman went to the bathroom they popped in the video and told everyone to watch it and start laughing. When the victim came out and asked was so funny everyone pointed to the TV.

After the dust settled the victims comment was "That wasn't funny worth a damn"

The prankster and the victim are regular memebers of the EGG community so I didn't mention any names to protect the guilty and the innocent.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    happy b-day todd.. . sure do miss you and molly and the little ones around here. . .hopefully we'll see you in october this year!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Only a drunk neighbor would have done that in the South. You are durn lucky you didn't get shot.

On the Wolf Compound you would have heard two sounds. My dog barking and loud pop from the working end of my father-in-laws pistol.

It was right funny though!!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    An excellent prank, and well-lubricated with hootch, too! Too bad your pal's missus didn't get the joke.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    You really have ¨Dos Huevos¨ bien puestos!!!! :laugh:
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    with your luck, the first shot would have hit your dog, and the second shot would have hit your egg. . ..then you would have really been pissed :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    My father in law is too good of a shot do to either. However, I don't normally sneak around the farm after dark because he shoots first and then says "Whoop!!!"
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    It's too bad the victims (couple) didn't show for your party. If it had been me I would've laughed about it as I was planning my revenge. :evil:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    That's too funny! I'll just bet that your friend and his wife are planning something very "special" for you! And remember.... the longer one waits, the sweeter revenge tastes!! 8 - )
  • Chuck_K
    Chuck_K Posts: 47
    Options
    My first thought after I stopped laughing was....
    Pay Back is a ****!!! :evil: :evil:

Sorry they did not take it in the manner (almost said "spirit") intended. :laugh:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    man todd i am glad you don't know where i live!!!

you know the town but not the street :laugh:

although i think that is one of the funniest things i have read in awhile!!!

hope all is going well for you

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Pretty funny, glad you didn't get shot. I would go their house, apologize to his wife, be very consoling and repentent, and hope to get the chance to put a pile of wing carcasses into the fridge...and let her wonder what you took from their fridge(nothing). She'll either get over it or not, what have you got to lose. Thin skin always get chewed by the bigger animals.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Todd -
    welcome back -
    been trying to get ahold of you for awhile, with no luck.
    You still have lump in your basement? I need several bags - you still have some for sale?
    it won't let me log in for some reason, so this may come across as a guest -

chuckgga@bellsouth.net
    Thanks - ChuckGGa