Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie wants to slooow cook a brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried searching the archives but I kept getting a "not found on this server" message. I am looking to learn how to cook a slow, Texas style barbecue brisket on my brand new egg. I could use some recipies and expert advice. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    P8210036.JPG
    <p />Milt Oberman,
    Go about it in the same way as you would pulled pork. I would start out with a good rub, such as pappys and slather on cheap mustard to adhear the rub to the meat. I also like to add a bit of rosemary as well. Cook the brisket until you reach your preferred temp.
    Ravnhaus has a great site you should check out, he's got a brisket cook on there as well.
    -Joel
    P.S. I am going to include a random pic of the pulled pork I finished this morning, just because it was so damn good.[p]

[ul][li]Ravnhaus brisket[/ul]
  • RodsMan of MD
    Options
    Milt Oberman,[p]I just did a briskett, the flat actually, and it turned out great. It was about 5 lbs, did it up with mustard and a good rub, overnight in the fridge, then on the BGE the next morning. It took about 14 hrs. to reach 185 but boy was it worth the wait. It was so tender and I am still stuffing in the leftovers.[p]I did an indirect cook with some water in the drip pan. I also held the temp at about 210 and while that drifted up a bit toward the end, I never went over 250.[p]Good luck and let us know how it turned out.[p]PS Make sure you leave a good portion of the fat cap on. The first time I tried it, I trimmed too much at it cooked very quickly and was a bit dry.
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Milt Oberman,
    Here is how I did my first on a medium Egg.
    Nothing to it.
    Indirect, 250°, and about 10 hours or so.

[ul][li]brisket[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Milt Oberman,
    Please, send me an email.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Milton
    Milton Posts: 4
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]Now, that brings up the next question(s). I have a large egg. Would putting the brisket on a rack standing in a drip pan be considered indirect? I don't quite understand yet how people are using fire bricks to create indirect cooking. What is a place setter and what is it used for?[p]Milt
  • 14 hours? I assume you have to add some more charcoal now and then. How do you do it? Remove the meat and grill rack and add unfired lumps, or is it better to start the new charcoal somewhere else and then add it already hot to your fire?[p]I have a Weber that I could use to start new charcoal in.[p]Milt
  • Milton
    Milton Posts: 4
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]Wow, I could eat the photo. Is that a pork butt you cooked. Remember, I am totally new to the Egg. In fact I haven't yet used it. I am waiting on a nest that should be here this week.[p]So, what's your best recipe for pulled pork?[p]Milt