Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Bonelss Pork Shoulder Question

GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 108
edited 3:35PM in EggHead Forum
Just a dumb question, but i need to heard the answer from someone other the the butcher selling me the meat. We went to Costo today looking for a Boston Butt to cook. All they had was Boneless Pork Shoulder. I spoke with the butcher and he stated it was a Boston Butt without the bone, thus boneless. I sound logical, is it true, and is there anything special i should know about cooking this that would differ from a boston butt.
thanks,
Grasshopper

Comments

• EggEdEggEd Posts: 88
    [url]http://bbq.about.com/cs/porkpulled/a/aa072697.htm

As this link suggests, the butt is the upper part. I have purchased bone in and boneless. Have not experienced a difference in taste although the bone is great for the "wiggle test" to see it it is done and the best pulled pork I have done the bone is perfectly clean. That is, the meat comes off the bone very, very easily and almost looks like it has been sandblasted (if that makes any sense)

I would not cook differently for either cut or bone-in / boneless.

Regards
    Ed[/url]
  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
  • I don't think so. I wrap mine after its been on the egg four hours, slow cooking on 225 degrees and continue to cook another twenty hours.
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,967
    Boneless pork shoulder is cooked just like a butt and, according to my family, has a little better flavor than a butt. Usually, bone in will give you and additional bit of flavor.

IF you look at your arm your bicep is "the butt' and your forearm is the shoulder. Go figure.
  • BucketheadBuckethead Posts: 285
    YES....
    The shoulder is made up of the Boston Butt and the Picnic Ham. (the butt is part of the shoulder, don't let anyone tell you different.) The boneless product Costco carries is a boneless butt. I have used on more than one occasion.
    Doug
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,672
    This was posted by someone I consider an expert a little further down this page.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=472054&catid=1