Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter with ribs?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello fellow eggheads....My husband and I just purchased one large egg and we are trying to grill or smoke ribs....do we need to use the Plate setter or what?
we watched the dvd and the chef didn't use it, but the book says to use it.
What do You guys thing.
Please help some new eggies out?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Personally, I do ribs indirect with a drip pan. Some of the real pro's here do them direct, but I'm a woosy. I'd start out doing them with the plate setter and a drip pan, then graduate to direct when you master the Egg.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    The platesetter would be the way to go.

It will provide you an indirect cook and allow for a long cook without the charring.

Greg
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    Yep... plate setter in (legs up) for low and slow indirect cooking, but then I take the plate setter out at the end and finish them with direct grilling (also add the sauce at this time).
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Check my response to another query just a couple below your post - topic was "Pork Spare Ribs"
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Welcome to the Cult.
    Yes you do need a platesetter go to this site and scroll down to the rib section
    My Best,
    Ross

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
  • Unknown
    Options
    Got it..thanks for the help!!! Happy 5th :)
  • KCWolf
    KCWolf Posts: 4
    Options
    I use fire bricks on the grid with my drip pan sitting on them, it's much easier to change over to a direct cook than the plate setter.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Do you need a HD drip pan to provide the thermal barrier for indirect, or will the plain old aluminum variety do?
  • KCWolf
    Options
    I have an old cake pan that I cover with aluminum foil (for ease of cleaning), my rib rack "fits" right on the top rim of it. But I have used aluminum pans before, I can't tell the difference unless I'm doing a 18 hour cook. Mostly I use the cake pan because it's my favorite and it fits almost perfectly on 3 fire bricks laying side by side.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Eggjedi:

Is your eggs name Yoda? I like the handle. May the force draft be with you. :)
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I'm wondering if using a HD steel or CI drip pan on the regular grid with ribs above on grid extender (no fire bricks, no plate setter) would work for the indirect part of the cook.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    an eggjedi would know the answer, young luke.

you can do both with or without.
    most use some form of indirect barrier, the platesetter is one type of indirect barrier.

super-evil jedi-types will often do ribs up on a raised grid, without any barrier, at 250 or less. if you use very little lump, and set the ribs up high, you can go direct.

but for young luke, i would recommend the platesetter. and perhaps a handle-change to eggjedi-in-training!
    ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • KCWolf
    Options
    I don't think the pan alone would provide enough of a heat barrier to provide the "indirect" effect. Not that it wouldn't work for ribs though. They're pretty forgiving, at least that's been my experience.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    any time the meat can't "see" the coals, it is indirect.

drip pan, firebricks, platesetter, wood plank, water pan, simple sheet of aluminum foil. all provide the "indirect" barrier. anything with mass provides a little inertia, but a sheet of foil is enough to make for indirect
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante