Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt question

Options
johnrezz
johnrezz Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So the butcher at the supermarket sold my wife two 4lb. pork shoulder roasts instead of 1 8lb butt. When I went back they were all out of butts.

How do I go about cooking this? It normally takes about 15 hours to cook a 8-10 lb butt at 230 dome.

I was wanting to make eastern NC BBQ but I am concerned about it drying out since there is not much fat on these shoulders and I have no idea how long to plan for cooking time. I was planning on putting it on tonight but should I wait until the morning to get it going since they are only 4 lbs....

Any help would be appreciated...

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Two four pounders will cook faster than a single 8. I would think not quite 1/2 but maybe 70% of the time. I would push them together so they act more like 1. I'm not sure though that your going to be as happy with the results.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You are looking at 6 hours maybe a wee bit more. Pushing them together won't accomplish much as they will shrink.

If the fat cap has been removed you can always drape the butts in bacon.

Then I would remind your butcher that by removing the fat cap he took away most of the flavor.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I did a 4 pounder last week (usually do 8+ pounders) It took about 70% of normal to cook at 250. The meat was drier than a fat covered 8 pounder but still very tasty. You'll be ok starting tomorrow AM and pulling in the afternoon.