Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Turkey Legs for the first time

Options
iamdanwilliamson
iamdanwilliamson Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

I am going to be smoking some Turkey legs for the first time tomorrow for the 4th and have 9 of them to do. Anybodys help would be greatly appreciated as far as times and temps go. Will be cooking them on my Large egg, have plate setter if need to be indirect.

Thanks!!!

Dan

Comments

• ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    About how long would they take to cook? The recipe says to cook until the internal temperature is reached, just curious about how long this might take?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Think all the info is in the above link
  • ewillie
    Options
    I asked because they talk about the time for the store bought smoked, but only internal temperature for the home cured ones: "I do them until they are at least 175° to 180° internal.

Store-bought Smoked Drumsticks

This is a real time saver! If you can buy the commercially smoked drumsicks at the market, just do a second smoke on them to really wake up the flavor. These will only take around 2 hours or so at 225°."

So is the time (2 hours) about the same for each?
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Sorry My bad but still think cooking time is the same. Difference being prepping in house or buying prepped. Like you said 175 / 180 but I'll take mine to 190 /200 just a personal preference.
  • ewillie
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm a newbie (firing up for the first time this weekend) so I don't have a feel for the times and temps.

I'm really looking forward to experimenting and getting a better handle on it.

Thanks for the advice. Erik
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Hardest part is not to micro manage. We all went thru it just trust the temps to rebound after putting the cook on. It's the hardest part of the learning curve if you've been using other cookers. Ask a lot of questions but wont take long once you get familiar with the egg. It really is as easy as at seems.
    Welcome
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That is a good question.....I'm horrible when it comes to exact cook times, but I allow 3 to 3-1/2 hours when smoking the fresh ones. (The size makes a difference in the cook time). The pit temp will have a big effect on the time as well, so check them after 90 minutes and ramp the pit temp up or down as needed.

I'll add the guesstimated times to my drumstick page. Please let us know how yours come out and the details of the cook.

a28000c5.gif
    Have a Happy July 4th
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ewillie
    Options
    Thanks kindly, and have a great 4th! Cheers, Erik
  • iamdanwilliamson
    Options
    Thanks for the great link, so I am assuming indirect cooking with my platesetter would be best, is that correct? I plan on using some applewood chips for the smoke.

thanks,
    Dan
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    from the pic on the website they are cooked direct on a raised grid.....

but your way sounds fine.... just watch your temps!!!

and if it is possible in your area throw the chips away and buy chunks... chips have always been more (white== bad) smokey to me... i am lucky though i have a friend that heats his house with cherry wood and he lets me have all i want.. i just split it with my hatchet and put it in there in smaller pieces.. but i have also gotten lots of other woods in chunks which i have either bought or traded with someone.. i have found Grape, Sassafrass (sp), pecan, apple, and oak. the only time i use chips is when i use the "Jack Daniels"...

just my $.02 ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb