Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Roast Tonight: Questions re: temps/probe

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing a 5.5 lb bone-in ribeye roast this evening, w/Charcrust Roto Roast slight dusting plus olive oil peppercorn and kosher salt rub all over. A few questions, as we like em' rare to med. rare:
Recommended dome temp? 325-350?? or lower and slower?(we don't want to cook it for more than 1 1/2 to 2 hours)[p]Polder through the meat ends or through the sides with fat or bones?[p]Going indirect over an inverted plate setter on top of a v-rack with taters cooking in the pan and juices below. Love to hear from my Egg friends on this. Thanks in advance and .... Happy Sunday!!
Big Murth
p.s. Smokewood is combo of a little hickory, apple, and some wine-soaked oak.

Comments

• Big Murth, I did a boneless rib roast last night about the same size.[p]I put it in the v-rack on the pizza stone (my plate setter is in the mail) and cooked indirect @ 375. Took about 2.5 hours.[p]I put the the polder top dead center of the roast, but I also took a "stick" thermometer and put it horizontally in one end to ensure I was getting accurate readings throughout.[p]Once it got close, I placed the stick thermometer in various places to ensure there were no raw spots. Pulled it at 135 internal dead center. Middle was med rare and the ends were a bit more done for the kids and wife's tastes.[p]Verdict: AWESOME[p]Did Gordon Weiss' red potatos as a side dish and they were equally delish.[p]Good luck!

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    Thanks Skewl-dude!! I'll probably pull at 110-115 and let it rest before carving. You/anybody else have suggestions on bones up or fat up??? Methinks fat up would be better for some self-baste action.
    Big Murth

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Posts: 23
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]This is exactly how I always cook these. I do one for Christmas at my daughter's and get all kinds of raves. We do like it rare.