Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big, Long Brisket

BostonEggSox
BostonEggSox Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a 12 pound brisket. It's about 2" too long to fit on a LGE. Should I:

A. Cut off the real thin flat end.
B. Fold the thin flat end so it fits.
C. Not sure, comments would help.

Also,
I am assuming the big end, opposite the flat will register a lower thermometer temp than the thin flat end. Where do I place the thermometer in order to get a temp for pull time?

Thanks all.......

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    don't cut the brisket just scrunch it up in the middle to fit. the natural shrinkage will take care of the rest. the large end is known as the point and it has a very large fat content. place the probe in the flat section and when that is done pull the whole piece of meat. seperate the point from the rest and place back on the egg for another couple hours for "burnt ends"
    then you got some good eatin'
    good luck, be patient and practice makes perfect.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    lay it over an empty beer or soda can until it shrinks enough to fit on the grid on its own.

I believe ~thirdeye~ has a diagram of it on his site somewhere.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/index.html
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    If you have the v-rack, you can try putting that on the grid first, then putting the brisket down on it. I have to do that to get some ribs to fit, too.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    "Diagram" is a kind word for this John Madden like sketch. Heheeee. But it works good. Just make sure it is an empty can.

beercanbrisket.jpg

a28000c5.gif
    Have a Happy July 4th
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery