Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket and butt --- question

Options
cbs
cbs Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll be doing both a brisket and a butt for the 4th. If possible, I'd like to do them both on one large. If they both fit, which should go on top?

I suppose I could light the medium up as well and do them separately if necessary, but I'd prefer to keep it in one shot.

Thanks.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I'm not a real big fan of over/under cooking, but I like the butt over the brisket. I now cook briskets fat down which buffers the heat from below, and the butt buffers heat from above. Plus the self basting of the brisket provided by the butt is a bonus.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    its hotter closer to the dome with that setup, put the butt over the brisket as it can take the heat better. as thirdeye mentioned, fat down on the brisket as the top gets basted by the butt.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    This is how I did mine for the Memorial Day cook:
    IMG_1108.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I am doing one large brisket under two butts on the 4th.

Do it all the time, I figure since burning the lump, may as well cook the meat.
  • cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    Do any of you wrap the brisket? Does doing the butts over make that too much of a pain?