Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Table top thoughts

Firestarter21Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know a similar post was posted last week, but......
We remodeled our kitchen when we moved into this house over two years ago and we have a extra piece of Formica sitting in the basement. I believe it measures 70" 's and is rounded on both sides, we only needed a short amount for a short bar common for the living room and kitchen. Anyways, someone asked if others thought it was ok to use, I typed up my lengthy response and got a stupid error and lost the long response, so anyhow this is what I was told/thinking.
It is possible to coat the bottom side of the countertop, with Killz oil based several coats. The bottom side is the mdf material and all you should have to worry about. So, coating it with the kills, then putting an epoxy(??? I was recommended this, don't know what expoxy to use???) probably 2 or 3 coats of this as well. I understand I am going to surpass my original investment in a tile top or other choices, but I hate to have a piece of counter in our garages that will probably never get used. So, does this sound like something that will work, worst that happens is I rip off the top and go with a second option, but I figured I would get yalls advice. I am in the Atlanta area, so humidity is a bit of an issue here. Also the table would stay covered and would get an occasional shower when the egg is used, which I hope to have a hole in the table for a large umbrella to be inserted in the case of a storm and a planned cook. I am planning on buying all my lumber next weekend for the table, so I thought I would get some advice from the gang and go from there.
Thanks in advance.

Comments