Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: North Georgia Eggheads

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks. Did anyone happen to catch the Food Network show "Diners, Drive-In's & Dives" yesterday? One of the featured establishments was "Matthews" cafateria in Tucker, not to far from the Mother Ship. I have eaten there before but it has been about 15 years. Evidently the couple who ran it for so long has passed it along to their son, who is indeed keeping with tradition and serving up classic southern style dishes. The website http://www.matthewscafeteria.com/ shows the menu which varies by day of the week.

So.....I was thinking we might try to round up a few of us to meet there one day for a mid-week lunch. They start serving at 10:30am. Anyone interested?

Comments

• EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    The funny part is one of the customers they showed on it is a very good friend of the family. Once I called Jim to tell him I saw him on the show he was embarrassed at the size of the plate he had! :laugh:
    I will tell you the food there is AWESOME. One of the best days to go there is, I think, Thursday, when turkey and dressing is served. It is fantastic.
    To answer your question, it is definitely worth the drive to go there and I would be interested in meeting there for some grub with the group. Never a bad meal served there and save room for dessert.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Depending on my availability, I'd love to join in!! :cheer:
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I could do Thursday, but the Brunswick stew is served on Wednesday. The program showed him pulling chicken off of a large smoker out back which was cooked soley for the purpose of the stew. Good brunswick stews are not easy to find, and I am on a quest to develop one myself. Anyway, I can go pretty much any day.

Fidel, you in? I think Vidalia1 is out this week.

RB
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    as I'll be in Savannah for business. Coming back Wednesday night so Thursday is a go for me. One suggestion- get there no later than 11:30 or the lines get long.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    What are you doing Teddy? Going down there to meet with Sonny Siler to pick out UGA VII?
    B)
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    Yep, caught it last week. The wife and I have been eating there for the 20 years we've been in GA. They used to have one over in Winder that we thought was even better than the original but it burned years ago and is now a Ruby Tuesdays. Pretty good food.

Just a side note: Our favorite BBQ place in OK (Leo's) was featured on this show last year and wound up getting so busy they would sell out of food before dinner and have to close down! They have moved to a bigger location near downtown OKC that they owned for a long time but just never developed. I expect Matthews may experience a similar experience in increased customers. I think average business increase after being featured on the show is approximately 30%.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I could possibly do this Thurs. I have a Dr appt in the am, but should be done before 11-11 30 in Atlanta. I could make it over there for a 11 30 to 12 oclocker probably. Lets set a date and decide.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I work rather close to there but am only working in the office tomorrow for the week, as the wife is going in for surgery.

Greg