Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Brisket Success

run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
edited 3:53AM in EggHead Forum
Not as tender as a pork butt, but pretty darn tender. The meat stayed juicy and the 'sauce' created during the rest from broth/meat juice/rub could be bottled and sold for big money.

Rubbed and Ready

IMG_1403.jpg
Add bacon - thanks to Slotmercenary for the tip

[IMG_1405.jpg
Egg's ready - cheap lump from Home Depot, Cowboy, seems to be working pretty good

IMG_1407.jpg
Starting the cook

IMG_1410.jpg
I ordered a DigiQ - it'll come on Monday - but in the meantime this thing held 250 like it was an oven. Still want that DigiQ!

IMG_1411.jpg
Ready to rest for a couple of hours

IMG_1424.jpg
Another shot

IMG_1425.jpg

Family raved - my problem was that it seemed to take too little time to cook, even at 250. I think it was because it was such a small brisket. Next time I'm finding a full brisket, setting the DigiQ for 250 and I just bet it'll do better.
·

Comments

• TomM24TomM24 Posts: 1,364
    Good job!. How long did it take? Did you add any smoking wood?
    ·
  • run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
    Not long enough, I felt.....it cooked for right at 4 hours. It hit 165 after a couple of hours, plateaued for around 40 minutes, then took off like a rock. Truth be told, I pulled it at 200.
    I used a hickory chunk along with a few apple chunks.

I learned a couple of things.....

Less rub! Although it was good, I didn't need as much as I used.

Wait longer for the temp to stabilize. I'm hoping the DigiQ will help me with this - once it did stabilize it was like a rock.

It's an amazing grill/smoker. Easy to understand the following on this forum. My Weber was a place to grill when we wanted the occasional cooked out flavor. The Egg is our chosen cooking place - we're constantly looking for more stuff to cook on it.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,575
    Nice set of pics. I've yet to do a brisket myself that I would give an "A," so congratulations.

I happened to do an 8.4 pound brisket flat yesterday, and it too was done fairly quickly. I was glad I checked it at 5 hours, because it was already thru the plateau. That might of happened because I had it way up in the dome, perched on an inverted V-rack.

Pulled it at 195. It was the most tender I had done, if a tiny bit dry.
    ·
  • StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    Can't see photos, just a message from photobucket saying they have been moved or deleted.
    ·
  • run4jcrun4jc Posts: 107
    Sorry all - I moved some photos around in Photobucket and messed everything up. Fixed it -photos are back

Thanks for looking!
    ·