Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Success

Options
run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not as tender as a pork butt, but pretty darn tender. The meat stayed juicy and the 'sauce' created during the rest from broth/meat juice/rub could be bottled and sold for big money.

Rubbed and Ready

IMG_1403.jpg
Add bacon - thanks to Slotmercenary for the tip

[IMG_1405.jpg
Egg's ready - cheap lump from Home Depot, Cowboy, seems to be working pretty good

IMG_1407.jpg
Starting the cook

IMG_1410.jpg
I ordered a DigiQ - it'll come on Monday - but in the meantime this thing held 250 like it was an oven. Still want that DigiQ!

IMG_1411.jpg
Ready to rest for a couple of hours

IMG_1424.jpg
Another shot

IMG_1425.jpg

Family raved - my problem was that it seemed to take too little time to cook, even at 250. I think it was because it was such a small brisket. Next time I'm finding a full brisket, setting the DigiQ for 250 and I just bet it'll do better.

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Good job!. How long did it take? Did you add any smoking wood?
  • run4jc
    Options
    Not long enough, I felt.....it cooked for right at 4 hours. It hit 165 after a couple of hours, plateaued for around 40 minutes, then took off like a rock. Truth be told, I pulled it at 200.
    I used a hickory chunk along with a few apple chunks.

I learned a couple of things.....

Less rub! Although it was good, I didn't need as much as I used.

Wait longer for the temp to stabilize. I'm hoping the DigiQ will help me with this - once it did stabilize it was like a rock.

It's an amazing grill/smoker. Easy to understand the following on this forum. My Weber was a place to grill when we wanted the occasional cooked out flavor. The Egg is our chosen cooking place - we're constantly looking for more stuff to cook on it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Nice set of pics. I've yet to do a brisket myself that I would give an "A," so congratulations.

I happened to do an 8.4 pound brisket flat yesterday, and it too was done fairly quickly. I was glad I checked it at 5 hours, because it was already thru the plateau. That might of happened because I had it way up in the dome, perched on an inverted V-rack.

Pulled it at 195. It was the most tender I had done, if a tiny bit dry.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Can't see photos, just a message from photobucket saying they have been moved or deleted.
  • run4jc
    Options
    Sorry all - I moved some photos around in Photobucket and messed everything up. Fixed it -photos are back

Thanks for looking!