Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork shoulder done...but need some advice

Options
BlackCatBBQ
BlackCatBBQ Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just hanged out here in Seattle where we got 90 degree weather...can't beat it!

I just finished my first pork shoulder today on the BGE. I have to say that I am very happy with the way it turned out however I have one complaint. I didn't get nearly the amount of smoke flavor I was hoping for. The smoke ring was only about 1/8" at most. I've done pulled pork in my offset smoker and had great success with the amount of smoke flavor but always struggled with the tenderness. Using the BGE, I experienced the complete opposite. I couldn't be happier with the tenderness though. I could shred the meat extremely easily.

Another suprise was the amount of charcoal left at the end. I read all the advice on how to arrange the charcoals. I even placed several lumps of apple wood inside the coals so as it cooked down, i was expecting the pieces to smolder and smoke throughout the cook. I had one large piece sitting on top and it produced some great smoke but after it was gone, there was no more smoke the rest of the cook.

My shoulder was 5.3lbs and took 10.5 hours to reach 200 degrees. I also made some home made coleslaw to top off the sandwich. this was a first for me as well and it turned out great!

Also, can i get some advice on how to post my pics?
Do I have to use Photobucket.com? i'd rather post them directly.

THanks,

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    The posting direct link is not up and working just yet. I use Photo Bucket and haven't had an issue with it.

As far as the smoke is concerned. Add a lot of wood in the beginning and you should be good to go. Some actually mix chips throughout the whole load of lump to have some burning most of the time.
  • BlackCatBBQ
    Options
    Let me try to post some pics of my feast...

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    The pictures show a great feast.
  • billyho4260
    Options
    I use lots of apple wood chips and will let them soak for a couple hours prior to smoking. I start with three/four hand fulls of soaked chips when I put the shoulder on and then come back 3 hours later and will add another three/four handfuls. After that, there's not much sense in adding more chips as you won't get much smoke penetration as the bark has formed.

With the above methodology, I usually get a very tasty bark and an uniform, pink smoke ring around the whole butt.
  • Porco Rosso
    Options
    I too add more soaked wood chips a few hours into the cook - because I love as much smoky flavor in my pulled as possible.

I've often wondered how much smoke the bark keeps out and if foregoing the rub would result in smokier meat.