Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much is too much?

Options
Diego
Diego Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cook on my egg about 3 or 4 times a week. Some folks tell me that this is too much due to carcinogens from the cooking process. Any thoughts?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you only egg too much if you run out of coal ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    gotta die of something right? Tell your friends to pound sand, they're full of it :evil:

ctredwell
    go dawgs
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Your friends would be right if you constantly cooked pork and beef above 500+ degree. Truth is you don't. For that matter the high heat cooks would apply to foods cooked on or in your oven at home.

I wouldn't tell your friends to pound salt unless they are helping you make a rub.. You might want to offer to cook for them they might just be jealous.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That's a very good question! Carcinogens are present in just about any cooking process......even cooking indoors. Try to limit your direct cooking on the egg by using indirect when you can. And, if using a drip pan of sorts, put some liquid in it to prevent the smoke from the drippings getting into the food. The secret is moderation.......I just cooked a ribeye for the two of us at 600+ degrees and it was fabulous. But, I don't do that very often.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I would be more worried about what I was cooking rather than how I cook it.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I'll quit when I run out of meat/veggies or a dessert to cook.

Mike
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    That's all you egg? I use mine 6-7 times a week. We almost cook everything on it. :laugh: ;) I would tell your friend that they are just jealous that they can't eat that much food from an egg. :laugh: ;)B)
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    "Avoid Health Risks by Using Natural Charcoal
    Consumers can avoid exposure to these potentially harmful additives by sticking with so-called natural charcoal brands. Noram de Mexico’s Sierra Madre 100 percent oak hardwood charcoal contains no coal, oil, limestone, starch, sawdust or petroleum products and is certified by the Rainforest Alliance’s SmartWood program as sustainably harvested. The product is available at select Sam’s Clubs across the United States. Other manufacturers of all natural charcoal include Greenlink and Lazzari, both of which can be found at natural food outlets across North America."
    ~Pharmeggist

Source for quote above:
    http://environment.about.com/od/health/a/charcoal_grills.htm